ReefCleaners.org

Help needed immediately

billm

The pump on my Nano cube 6 quit this morning. How long will the residents be able to live without a functioning pump, and what should I get to replace the broken unit. I have a yellow tailed damsel, three coral frags and a small clean up crew. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bill

MJ404 should work fine. If you are in dire straits and feel like trekking over to Newbury Park (thousand oaks), ill leave a 6g stock pump on my doorstep for ya.

Chris

310-743-2678

Thanks Chris. I'll just go down to the LFS and get a new one, but your kind offer was appreciated! How long do you think I have until a crisis is reached? Of course the problem is I don't have any idea how long the pump has been out. I think it was on at 6 this morning when I turned on the lights, but I could be wrong.

Bill

I wouldn't let it go too long. The biggest concern would be oxygen/co2 exchange. I would get the pump first thing. I don't have your set up to know how often this might occur (pump going out) but as a backup for, say a power outage, I have a batery operated air pump and air stone (not the wood kind) that I can throw in the tank and keep the circulation going until the power is restored.

Good luck!!!

DD

i agree with Dave. the issue is oxygen, esp if you have fish. If the water is very warm (82 or higher) you may want to double time your trek to the store, because the solubility of oxygen decreases with temperature.

Chris

DD,

Yes, I've got the pump and airstone running right now. The store were I bought it says they have a stock pump lying around which they will swap me, so its off I go!

Bill

Ok, problem was that the impeller was not moving. It wasn't dirty, it just seems to have had a mechanical fault. New pump installed and running normally. Thanks for the help everybody.

Bill

Archived