Top Shelf Aquatics

What is this (worm)? in this 'empty' shell?

Jpl3k

It is living in a small shell in some crushed coral remains, and it has like 15+ long brown arms with little black bumps all over them. This morning I saw the most of it that I've ever seen. It was (I'm assuming) almost entirely hanging out of it's shell!

With my camera and handy magnifying glass next to my tank, I quickly snapped a couple shots.

Here's a good pic:

AUT12457.jpg

And here's one when its arms are wandering about:

thingwithtenticlesinshell.jpg

Now its back in it's shell with some tenticles hanging around (looking for food?).

What is this thing? A worm? Good or bad?

~Jonathan

Did you ever try taking out that shell and shaking the critter out? It'd be a lot easier to identify that way. (Try to ID a bird by just its leg... Tough, right?)

I use a little hand siphon pump to suck in water and forcibly blow it out into the shell, but the worm just pulled deeper into it's shell. I didn't want to put it in tap water cause I'd didn't want to kill it if I don't need to. Is it likely to just jump out if I shake it??

Just take a bowl or jar, scoop out some water directly from the tank, and put the shell in the tank water. Try to shake him out or just leave him there to observe him. He can be put right back in the tank whenever, but can survive in the jar for at least 24 hours.

Spaghetti worm. Do all the tentacles come out of one end? It's difficult to see detail in the photo.

I'm not sure about the 15+ arms thing. but looking at the very first pic (assuming I'm looking at it correctly), it could be a eunice worm. which means big trouble.

Your lucky that it is so accessible tho. I say take out the worm w/ net, shell and all, and dump that crap.

Be careful b/c they pack a fierce bite.

But if it moves slowly and doesn't have fast reflexes, probably not a eunice worm.

New news on my worm:

It crawled out of it's shell and now buried it's body in the sand. Only the long, thin tenticles stick out reaching for food to suck in. It doesn't seem to bother anything, as my blue-legged crab just walks right over it. LOL!

...Yes, hermit crabs ARE funny! ;)

Archived