Coral Vue Hydros

good crab? bad crab?

theliquidzoo

theliquidzoo

this guy comes out at night mostly. very timid. dipped the live rock he came on to extract him.

any idea what type?

tannish grey with on claw larger than the other, black tips on claws...striped. looks like a brown/tan version of a pom pom crab if it were not for the claws.

not 100% sure, but looks kind of like a sally light foot.

eats alagae, but in my opinion, no crab is really safe in the aquarium (except scarlet hermits)

Nope, definitely not a sally lightfoot. BUT it does have pointy claws, and I've heard that it's a sign of a "bad" crab. But, really, as lgreen said, scarlet hermits are THE only reef-safe crab. (I'm glad someone else agrees with me on the scarlets!) I'd take out ANY crab with that flat-carapace shape. Frankly, even blueleg hermits can be (and often are) destructive.

I'd take it out of the tank.

theliquidzoo

i;m begining not to like crabs. i never 'trusted' them. (well i trust my pom pom crabs, but probably because they are so cute)

so what do you do? get a bunch of scarlets?

what do you use as clean up in lieu of crabs?

maybe i'll dump him in the refugium? or is that bad due to the possible algae eating?

or maybe he'll go in the 2.5 gallon with some sexy shirm who i no longer trust.

Get a variety of snails and some scarlet hermits. 1 per 2-3 gallons is fine.

For large algae-eating snails, you can go with turbos, giant Mexican turbos, Astraeas, turban/Trochus snails, etc. Margaritas are temperate snails, and do not live long in our tropical reef tanks.

For smaller algae-eating snails, there are ceriths, nerites, strombus, Stomatella, etc.

Nassarius snails are great detritivores that may also nibble algae;they eat scraps and poo. :) Go for the groovy-shelled white/tan ones vs. the black ones, which are another temperate species, though they can do well.

theliquidzoo

good to know about the temperate snails. i am familiar with the turbos (which i find to push things around too much), margaritas, ceriths, and nassarius. i'll look into the others.

i'm all for limiting the number of crabs in my tank, just wasn't sure how to go about it.

what sort of "destruction" have you had happen?

Archived