Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

I have no Idea what to think... Not so good pic as well..

RedKnightSpecial

RedKnightSpecial

OK, I have been seeing this "thing" in my LR for awhile. at first I didn't think anything of it. I didn't even think it was alive. I have highlighted the pic with two red circles to help. The thing is transparent and mostly embeded in rock, so it was a BOOGER to get a pic.

The bottom red circle is the larger visible part of the creature. It appears to be a diaphinous jelly-like funnel. It disapears into the rock and reappreas about 2" up as a tube made of the same material. It projects no more than 1/3" out of the rock.

At first I thought it was just some see-through dead stuff that would eventually dissolve, but it has grown. Today when I fed the tank the tube flexed. Suprised the heck outa me. Any idea?

Click on the pic to get the big version.

08-1547418534T.jpg

Well, it's VERY hard to tell from the pic, but the first thing that came to mind was "peanut worm". Look those up, and let us know what you think.

RedKnightSpecial

I looked up the peanut worm..that MAY be it. I can only see the two ends in my tank...they look similar to the ends of the worm in that pic. Except my worm is trasparent and that worm is definately colored. My worm also seems to be sessile. Are peanut worms sessile?

RedKnightSpecial

Now I just looked up the thread you posted a link to...it itsn't on of those. the ends of my critter are both hollowed, basicly just fleshy rings.

RedKnightSpecial

OK, new info on this weird, weird critter....it is part of the LR. Maybe it is perfectly camoflouged, or more likely the LR gunk has encrusted it's shell. I was watching the tank today as I fed and the whole section of LR around the critter swung open about a 1/4 inch and it sprayed a bunch of dust from the top orifice. Then it closed back to normal. weirdweirdweird.

I have a bunch of those too. I think they're either sponges or turbinates. It isn't really the rock opening up, of course; the critter is disguised as the rock. There are so many wierd colors/shapes/kind of sponges, it's amazing...

Sponges and tunicates don't move, though.

Originally posted by Caesar777

Sponges and tunicates don't move, though.

turnicates do move, it's how they get water flow through themselves

I've never seen a tunicate move. Have you actually seen it, or are you speculating?

I've never seen a tunicate move. Have you actually seen it, or are you speculating?

well they are in the same family as sea squirts, so I was mainly speculating. That was stupid of me, I normally don't do that and I am sorry. X) They might, or might not, the more I think about it, the more I think I could easily be totally wrong. I know sea squirts do in fact move, as they pump water through their bodies. It starts a siphon of sorts.

Sea squirts ARE tunicates. But keep in mind that tunicates and sponges are virtually the same thing (don't pick me apart on this) except the former has an inlet and an outlet for water flow, and the latter has a single inlet/outlet. (Though, of course there can be multiple outlets on each colony, since it's just that: a colony of many.)

Tunicates don't move. :)

Ok, well sea squirts move :)They call them sea squirts for a reason, they squirt water. They do this by squeezing themselves and shooting water out of their inlets and outlets. :)

They don't actually squirt! Besides, sea squirts are just called that. Starfish are neither stars nor fish. Don't take something as fact because of its NAME! lol!

Have you seen it or not? Don't state that something is a fact if you haven't even seen it for yourself.

They don't actually squirt! Besides, sea squirts are just called that. Starfish are neither stars nor fish. Don't take something as fact because of its NAME! lol!

Have you seen it or not? Don't state that something is a fact if you haven't even seen it for yourself.

yes, I have seen them. I own quite a few, thank you. :) How much would you like to bet they do indeed squirt. If you take one from the water, they will shoot out as much water as they can. If you give them a little squeeze, they are just like a tiny water pistol. Happy?

I asked "Have you seen one move, or are you just speculating?" and you said that you were just speculating. Do you understand what the word means? I have also had tunicates, and they don't move. Sure, if taken OUT of the water, ANY animal might want to purge its water, and, certainly, ANY aquatic animal will squirt water if you SQUEEZE it! Yikes!

awww.... so they do move? it's ok man, I think nothing less of you.

In regards to the speculating, I was only "speculating" about the "tunicates" moving. I knew they were related to sea aquirts based on their appearance only, not that they were essentially the same thing. You were as wrong as wrong could be, they do move. If something touches it, or it needs a new siphon, they will close and open their inlets and outlets. Have a nice night buddy. Do try to be a good sport int he future though and admit when you are wrong. You only make yourself look childish when you make bs excuses.

Archived