ReefCleaners.org

anenomie ID

daves new nano

daves new nano

hi all,

i got a delivery of macro algae the other day and i found this small anenomie like critter on one of the leaves, so i thought what hell ill see if it survives, but now im worried if it could be a pest of some sort.

its bout 3/4 inch across when its fully inflated, white with darker bands on the tenticles.

it seems to be nocturnal cus the only time i see it out fully is after lights out or first thing in the morning when i havent turned them on yet.

the rest of the time it shrinks back into a whole in the rock.

the picture i took is a bit crapy cus its from the top of the tank.

any ideas?

daves new nano

any ideas at all?

i dont think its apatasia but im slightly worried it might be.

cheers Dave.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like aptasia. sounds like it also. "white with darker bands on the tenticles."

daves new nano

Yeah i think you might be right, but i thought apatasia wernt light sensitive, when i put the tank lights on this little guy pulls back into a hole so you cant see him at all, the only time i see him out on the rock is when its dark first thing in the morning, i get up at stupid o clock for work and all way check my tank before i leave.

thanks for the reply tho.

Dave

daves new nano

ok im convinced its an aptasia, i found a top down shot of aptasia n its a prity close match. this is the picture i found

daves new nano

i think its a damm close match, the question now is do i try nget rid of it or leave it n hope they dont take over n i end up with a war of the wolrds situation with evry thing runing scared from the dreaded invader ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhggg make for the hills.

kill it. burn it. what ever, get it out.

joes juice, or i just take the rock out, and cut it off, but make sure and make a nice clean cut removing the base and all so it doesn't grow back.

daves new nano

ok as soon as i get home from work operation eradicate the alien starts.

cant get joes juice for a few day cus id have to order it online, would injecting the blighter with boiling water work?

Look around for how to make a kalk paste, perhaps. There are a few home-made remedies for them, too... Do a search here and on RC for aptasia removal and you'll get a ton of different ways. :) Best of luck to you.

It'll come back somewhere else. You need something that'll kill the anemone, and not leave bits to go off and become new ones. Injecting a hot Kalk solution works best.

By the way, "look up how to make kalk paste"? Heh... Mix kalk and water. Done! :D

jenniebutterfly

i inject them with iodine, but only do that if you can test for it. and peppermint shrimp will eat them, i had three in my tank, one was large so i injected it, and i got a peppermint for the other two, and watched it eat them. now 4 months later i have no more aiptasia

• 3 weeks later...

Archived