Pod Your Reef

Encrusting Coral ID

natejonesis

natejonesis

No jokes about it being zoos; I'm referring to the coral on the left with the feather duster sticking out of it :)

Thx.

Is that the full size version? Could you try maybe chopping out that portion so we can see more detail?

My guess is Porites. Maybe.

Very nice photo. Let me go out and research the corallite structure and polyp distribution to know for sure and I'll be back! :D

You know, I'm thinking Pavona... But I haven't seen it in that color. But, up close, everything makes me think Pavona...

Pavona decussata...

291-04.jpg

Check out this Porites. Polyps look much different.

648-01.jpg

There are apparently dozens of species of Porites, but all have this same polyp/corallite shape.

I'll conclude quite confidently that it's Pavona. Now, as to the specific species, I'll say Pavona decussata. Looked through about a dozen different species, and it resembles it to every degree.

Three species... Two look completely unlike it. One could be...Lithophyllon mokai.

VERY CLOSE: Corallites would be the giveaway. This one has sort of "eyes", not like the specimen in question.

233-03.jpg

Corallite structure:

233bw-02.jpg

Not:

876-04.jpg

I say pavonia, too. Here's a pic of my small frag... You sure that's a feather duster coming out of it? Looks like an anemone to me, but I don't know what the structure is like...

pavonia0of.jpg

That's a feather duster in it. Harmless, and cute.

I think he's cute. :) Besides, I hear Christmas worms are difficult to keep alive.

Archived