inTank Media Baskets

10gal lights? PC?

Kaxter

Well I have now decided to go with a 10 gallon tank because I am paranoid that I will scratch an eclipse 12. Are they any hoods out there that fit well on a standard 10gal tank? I would like to find a full setup, or something that requires very little to put together (I break everything, and I know if i try to put lights together i will do somethign wrong....And no, my glass is not half empty....I broke my glass:)) Would I need 96 watts for a 10 gallon tank? 64? Thanks in advance.

Look in DIY and Classified sections. there are members who MAKE hoods. Mine and Glazers are particulary near unbreakable.... lest you have regular hammer-toss competitions indoors.

there is a LOT on lighting here, just do some reading and SEARCH.

FWIW, it all depends on what you aim to keep.

I can see where this thread is going.....

GLUE GLUE GLUEEEEEEE GLUUEEEEEE GLUE.

printerdown01

If you're looking for everything to be put together for ya' from the start you will need a custom job. Unfortunately, I don't know of a company that manufactures anything with enough lighting to power a 10 gallon. First of all let me start out by saying, that dave fairly and justly recommended himself and glazier for the job. He isn't just glorifying himself, his jobs really are that good (ask around). Second, the amount of lighting required will heavily depend on what you want to keep! You can set up a beautiful thriving super happy reef tank with 32W on a 10 gallon or you could have to go all the way to 96W... Dif corals grow at different depths and thus have adapted to different lighting. If you send me a list of corals you want I would be more than happy to help you pick out your lighting!

yea tahtd be great lighting! i dunno bout heat issues though, alot of people here use that same setup its very nice though a loittle pricey, you can probably make ure own hood or get it from dave and hten just get 2 36 wat retros for cheaper than what they are asking for

nishant

I dont like the ABS hoods, they break easily. also get really warm.

ya will need a fan for it if its the sealed unit. they will work though. CSL is the better of the 2. I dont trust cheep lighting.

Its cheep for a reason.

Ok, so go with the CSL 15in 2 x 32watt ABS Hood? It has one fan in it, and I will put another one in it aswell....and 150 bucks is cheap? Damn, this hobby has gotten so expensive.

CSL 2x32W independent light controls, bulbs everything you ever wanted in a retrofit (at the best price!-$105), now just get Dave or Glazer to build you a hood or look at AH supply for a super easy plan (that you may need to modify for a fan). someone else was looking for this light last week and i priced it out everywhere i could think of.

http://www.championlighting.com/e/env/0001...ighting/pc.html

HTH!

If you're on a budget and just starting out, I'd go with a CSL 32W Smartlight. They cost around $46 online, you don't need a fan and you can keep soft corals and a few small LPS.

If you have a square, a handsaw, corner clamps, glue, a paintbrush and some left over paint lying around, you can put together a jolly nice hood for about $8.00 using Home Depot poplar. It will take you about 2 hours of labour to cut, glue, paint and fit the light. There are plenty of DIY plans to be found with the Google search engine if you need one. I just used a tape measure and winged it. Came out well.

Ok, I have one more very newbie question....If I got the CSL 15in 2 x 32watt ABS Hood do I have both of the lights on during the day? And then just the blue one at night?

lighting scheme-

since that 2x32 w/hood you linked has independent controls you will be able to have dawn/dusk type lighting. what you'll want to do is put them on timers, have the daylight on 11 hours a day (somewhere in the 10-12hr range). have the actinic come on 1/2 hour before the daylight, run it all day with the daylight, and keep it on for 1/2 hour after the daylight. this is pretty standard. don't leave it on all night though. i'll show you how to do a lil Radio Shack LED for $5 if you want a nightlight.

I have had a 2x55 from www.petsupplyliquidator.com on my 20G for over a year now and have been very pleased with it. The housing is aluminum with a good reflector and a clear splash shield. They also made it up with individual cords for a few bucks extra. Heat has never been a problem.

Am I dumb to get only 64 watts of lighting? Should I just go with a new setup and get 96 watts? I have been reading a ton and in everyones signature with 10 gallon aquariums and they all seem to have 96 watts of light....not 64.

Archived