Top Shelf Aquatics

Nano Cube Filter????????

paingod

just purchased a 24G JBJ nano cube, and from all the sources I read they state NOT to use the bioballs for a reef tank because they become a nitrate factory.

How do I set up the filter without these?

any suggestions would be appreciated.

In my 24g DX Cube I have about 3lbs of LR in bay 1 topped w/ some filter floss as a pre-filter. In bay 2 I have Cheato and have it lit to serve as a fuge and in bay 3 I have 2 pumps and the heater along w/ the float switch for my ATO.

If you use a sponge in one of the bays, be sure to rince it out very well every week or it too will be a nitrate factory.

i dont use any filters in my 24G, which i have had for 8 months. everything seems great, just add broken up liverock in the back.

-Mike;)

Originally posted by paingod

what the best way to add light to it?

If you're talking about adding light to the rear area, you only need light if you are going to have one of the bays as a refugium. If you are only going to have LR you don't need any light.

if you dont use a sponge in the first chamber...will tiny inverts like shrimps get sucked in? whats the point of using a sponge then?

Originally posted by Grymatta

if you dont use a sponge in the first chamber...will tiny inverts like shrimps get sucked in? whats the point of using a sponge then?

The sponge acts as a pre-filter to keep the large chunks out of the back area. I use filterfloss and change it out weekly. If you use a sponge, clean it weekly to prevent nitrate problems.

Archived