ReefCleaners.org

Just changed my MH pendant, quite a difference

Guy

I had switched from PC's to a 175MH on my 29 gallon a few months back, and was not impressed with the difference in lighting from the 2x55 watt PC's versus the 175 MH. To my eye, they both appeared equally as bright.

I was using a bell pendant set up and it really seemed to concentrate the light in the center of the set up. (which makes sense given it's shape) I ended up ordering a horizontal icecap pendant from marine depot as an alternative to building a hood and the difference was night and day. The entire tank is well lit, and I am now getting that beautiful shimmering effect that I had heard so much about. The bell pendant barely gave me any of that. Also, the bulb seems "whiter" now. I was running a 10K and it looked a bit yellow using the bell.

I expected the increased light distribution, but I am incredibly pleased with all of the other "bonuses' I got when I changed the set up.

Just wanted to mention this in case someone else was not happy with their MH set up and they were using the bell pendant.

Thanks

Guy

just throwing something out, arent there bulbs that specifically do better in different mounting positions? like horizontal vs vertical. I thought i remembered reading something like this, but i couldve been just making it up in my head.

Tosi, that is correct. Some are designed for "High Bay" and some for "Low Bay" usage as well as horizontal burn.

Guy... Glad ya noticed the diff.

Perhaps the pendant wasnt high enough before to give shimmer. I love my Halides for that exact effect. Too bad ya couldn't add a pair of PC actinics.. :(

Some MH bulbs and HPS are U for Universal, H for Horizontal or V for Vertical.

If you burn a V in the H position it will do one of two things, fail to start or burn about 10% less bright. Usually the Universal bulbs have a lower lumen rating.

The different bulbs for different positions thing was something I didn't know. that is an imporatnt thing for me to keep in mind when it comes time to replace them.

thanks

Guy

• 4 weeks later...

I am considering taking my current 250W bell pendant and taking the bulb and socket out of the bell and putting it into a canopy. Does anyone know if you can wire the ballast to a mogul socket? Guy, how hard was it to take out the parts of the bell and make it fit in a canopy? Do you have any pics of this or any current pics. DAVE ESPI

You seem to always have a good answer, do you have any recommendations for me?

Thanx

just need to cut the wiring to the socket in the bell pendant. then just buy a mogul socket from places like hellolights.com. connect the wires to the mogul socket and place it in your canopy. if you want shimmering effect, MH is the way to go.

Macnreef,

Sorry, i didn't see your question. I bought the pendant already wired, so I can't comment, But i was boing to make a hood from scratch and it is a simply as Hubu describes.

Guy

Archived