Pod Your Reef

The amazing lawn mower blenny.

ezramore

My lawn mower blenny who was dead about 3 months ago was found last night. he aparently went into the utube for my over flow box, made it to the top of the overflow box into my stand pipe, made it throught the algea scrubber, through the wet dry filter, through the protien skimmer, and turned up last night sitting on a large pile of cheato in my refuge looking really skinny but hopping around like the happiest fish in the world. Anyways are there any tips for fattening this little guy back up. he is a small one about 2 inches and my wifes favorite fish. also my emerald brabs have mated. they hatched this morning I am not sure how many hatched as i was on my way to work when i saw them. looks like quite a few. should i move the babies to the sump till they grow up.

Try to get him to eat Nori. I had one who liked spirulina bottomfeeder pellets, designed for plecos and other freshwater vegetarians, but perfectly suited to a fish like this because of the marine algae. I'd just break them up into bits, and he LOVED them. Just make sure that they're made from spirulina and not something else.

cool i actually have some of those for my freshwater tanks. I will see if he shows any interest.

wow, that lawnmower blenny IS amazing.:flower: yeah they're pretty cute because they're just so damn funny looking. if you have copepods that'll be good and mine eats baby brine shrimp but it took him a while to get used to eating it but now he goes crazy over that stuff.:D

he diddnt go for the placo tabs but he seems to be fattening back up on his own. His color is looking really good now to. when i rescued him he was almost pure white. I am not sure what he is eating but he looks healthier. I put a screen over the overflow to keep it from happening again. I will just have to watch and make sure it doesnt get clogged or i will have a flooded bedroom.

Did you break them up into tiny pieces? That's odd...Mine would dash toward any food added to the tank.

Just keep an eye on him... It's not uncommon for them to starve to death in aquaria.

yes with no luck. i am sure he will be ok as he is constantly on the move. no lazy fishes here. i have a very small amount of green algea in the back of my tank and he always has green stuff on his mouth so i figure he must be eating that now that he is back in the main tank.

tried the placo tabs again last night just for the heck of it and he took one. it took him a min to think about it but i think he finaly dicided he was hungry enough to take try one.

• 3 weeks later...

sofar so good its been 3 weeks and the little guy is fattened up nicely. I think he has grown a little as well. He has gotten to be a fiesty little thing. very protective of his little rock. he bit me pretty good a couple times now when i got to close to the rock he has made into a nest.

Excellent; glad to know. He's eating the food you give him, or does he have another source now?

he has descided he likes formula one flakes which is what i usually feed my clowns he gets a piece and parades around with it awhile before he eats it. strange litttle fish but cute.

Archived