SaltCritters.com

New 7

sr3w

Word up.

I'm thinking about starting up a 7 gallon tank with bits scavenged from my 85 gallon, but I need advice before I do it:

What filtration setup would you all recommend for this system? The LR and LS will be from an established tank, and the bioload will consist of mushrooms, polyps, a yellow watchman and a tiger shrimp. (And maybe some macroalgae, if I can spare some from the 85.)

Scott

P.S.: I've noticed that many of you use HOB filters without media in them. Would anyone care to explain that?

Laffs - we just went through the media-less HOB filter thing in another post...

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...=&threadid=6143

For filtration setup, it's pretty much your choice. Your choices are:

1) Live rock & sand for filtration

2) Skimmer for nutrient export

3) HOB filter, with or w/out filter & carbon

4) Any or all of the above

Each performs a function that may or may not be needed in your environment, depending on what you plan to keep, what type water you use, how much you feed, etc. Do searches in the forums here or on the Internet to learn the advantages/disadvantages of each.

Before you plan your filtration, you probably oughta plan what you're gonna keep...types of corals, fish & how many.

Good luck Scott.

static69static

With the load you expect to have, I think you will be fine with live rock and live sand with regular water changes. you can add a hob filter and use it just for water movement, but you have plenty of filtration with what you have. I believe so at least, others may disagree.

Word up.

HOB filters without the media provide additional circulation while not taking up space in the tank. Also, you can use the little HOB as a fuge (if you're handy and creative). Some of us use the HOB as a means of chilling the water via an ice probe.

Peace out and word to yo mama.

static69static

Exactly, I have heard you can change aquaclear hob filters into refugiums, you can also hid other equipment in it, like heaters, so on. It is also good cause you have added volume and with more volume, less swings in conditions. If you have no circulation, I would definitely look into getting one, or even go to HOME DEPOT, get some acrylic and build your own refugium, or even wet dry filter/sump area and put on back. It is definitely worth it in the long run.

Archived