Coral Vue Hydros

Emergency snail ID!

Cetra324

Hey all - I just picked up a candycane coral from my LFS, and somehow a snail managed to hitchhike on the little piece. It's still acclimating, but I'm wondering if this guy would cause problems in my tank.

He's small, looks a lot like a Nassarius snail, except the shell is a bit more pointed, and it's a creamy color, with none of the coloration of a nassarius snail. The picture makes him look kind of green/gold, but that's just algae on his shell.

Upon very close inspection, the shell's "swirls" are ridged on the edges, almost like a conch.

snailid4lf.jpg

Is this guy safe? Or a threat? Thanks in advance!

Nah, at first glance I thought it was a Nassarius, but the shell is a lot longer and sharper, and it doesn't have a smooth "swirl" to the shell. It's very jagged, and has ridges.

chances are, if it has sort of a snorkel on it, it is a nassarius of some type. They like to submerge themselves, in your sandbed, and surface, for feeding, really cool! prolly just hopped shells?

D

It's a harmless algae-eater/detritivore, what many call Strombus snails, but I'm not sure if it's the proper name. NOT a Nassarius.

does he have a longer body, (off the back of the shell) with lil' horn looking things?

And, also, does he have a snorkel?

D

Again, it's a Strombus. I can tell from the pic. He does have a snorkel.

Harmless! Beneficial!

Archived