Coral Vue Hydros

adding cured liverock to nano???

gregmoeck

You have a 10 gallon nano going and things are looking great. You want to around 5 lbs of additional Live sand and 5 or 6 pounds of cured fiji live rock. You are running no skimmer and have only shrooms and GSP in the tank with 13 pounds of LR and 2.5 inch sand bed.

The LR and Sand can make it to you from Premium Aquatics over night. Do you think you should do it or will there be problems?

Personally, in a skimmerless tank, I wouldn't take the chance. You're gonna have some die off, even if they're selling you "cured" rock/sand. May not be very much, but without a skimmer, I dunno if I'd try it.

Do you have an extra tub/light you can put the incoming shipment in for a week or so?

Best bet is to NOT add it fer at least 48 Hours. there can be a "cured" status in their systems... Which are HUGE and can easily handle die off with no spikes, but in RE-Transit, more can die. Do a temporary Bucket-tarium with a PH and some cycled tank water ( old W/c water) and test water after 2 days. if ammonia is minimal and Nitrite is less than .25 PPM, its ok to add.

if NOT, then it will need to re-cycle.

HTH.

70 % chance is its ok, but like Murphy, Sheiat happens.

Archived