Pod Your Reef

Coral ID please!

Cetra324

Here's a picture of a star polyp colony I picked up a few weeks back. It has a coral hitchiker that I had originally thought was a very small mushroom, but upon closer inspection, I found that it was quite hard, and wasn't expanding or contracting at all when disturbed.

So, does anybody have any idea what this is? Again, the entire body (except the very center) is hard to the touch. It also has tiny (feeding?) tentacles lining the perimeter of the soft center.

Right now, it's about the size of a nickel.

coralid8qp.jpg

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

nope, but thats a very cool rock, what color are those stars? they look way cooler than the green ones in my tank.

They're a pinkish color - Here's a picture of them fully extended. It's a bit dark (didn't have flash on).

polyp19ps.jpg

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

wow! they are so much cooler looking than the green stars. ill have to get on my lfs case, about getting some in. thanks for the extra pic. is the coral in question a sponge of some sort?

"I found that it was quite hard, and wasn't expanding or contracting at all when disturbed."

Originally posted by formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

wow! they are so much cooler looking than the green stars. ill have to get on my lfs case, about getting some in. thanks for the extra pic. is the coral in question a sponge of some sort?  

"I found that it was quite hard, and wasn't expanding or contracting at all when disturbed."

Well, it's rock hard. Like, calcium skeleton structure-hard.

And I don't think sponges have feeding tentacles.. though I could be wrong. :P

Archived