Innovative Marine Aquariums

My 6gal @ 4 weeks

GadgetGuy

Just wanted to post a few pics of my first nano @ 4 weeks old!

6 gallon Eclipse

6lbs Live Sand

11lbs Live Rock

Rio 50 powerhead

Hagen heater

32w retro light kit

4 snails (astrea, methinks)

2 red-leg hermits

1 sally lightfoot crab

1 false percula (named "perky", cuz well -- he is)

4 new mushroom polyps - dunno which kinds they are (any guesses?)

So far, so good. All comments/suggestions for improvement/advice welcome :)

More pics to follow...

I'm starting s-l-o-w and just added these few single polyps to see how they do. Had a TOUGH time trying to glue 'em to the rock, though. The guy@my LFS said to use plain' ol superglue which is what I did, but it didn't stick all that well. To add insult to injury, my snails just lumber about and have knocked 2 of them loose already. Had to fish (no pun) them out and try again. Think I may have lost 2 of them in the process. Down to 2 now :(

Any advice on attaching these lil' critters better? I'd rather get my feet wet (cough) on these single polyps@ $2/ea as opposed to a full-blown rock colony @$30/ea.

Thanks

Christopher Marks

Are you slightly drying the tips of the corals and the rock? Do that, put the glue on, then submerse underwater (from your tank in a separate container) and hold for about 3 mins.

Or...just wedge them down into a crevice in your rock, and they will attach on their own.

when i have single polyps i just set them into a shell with some rubble they can attach to and put the shell in a quiet spot of the tank. works great.

Great looking tank!!! What do you do to keep the temperature down? I have a 6g eclipse with 2 13 watt bulbs and i found it got way to hot. So i installed a couple of fans which work great but now i have a major problem with evaporation. I'm going to disconnect the fans and just add some more vents and see how that works.

my 5.5 gal nano has 2 13 watt pc bulbs and ballast mounted in the hood over it, they run about 14 hours a day...i lined the inside with aluminum for good reflection and to promote heat transfer. I drilled a few holes intot he sides of the hood. that along with the ventilation already built in, and my tank stays at a constant 78F.

Benny,

I don't have any trouble with temperature so far. I live in VA and it's pretty cold here so that may be why ;) Also, my tank is well away from windows so no heat is added that way.

As for the setup, I removed the rubber gasket from the "old" on/off button on the hood. That helps to vent some of the heat since it's right over the light housing. Also, I set my heater to around 77degrees so when the lights are off, it hovers around 78 and with the lights on it goes to around 82 or so. I only have the lights on for 8hrs as well.

The setup at my LFS has the lid propped open all the time about an inch or so. You could try that.

Archived