Cultivated Reef

my new clown goby

ktownhero

I got some frozen brine and mysis yesterday and made a mix of those two and sweetwater zooplankton. He ate today!

Now... If I can only get him to stop making my powerhead his home... "Hey buddy, there are rocks there for a reason!"

Cute little fella! Glad to hear he's eating. Mine loves brine shrimp, but seems to take anything else halfheartedly. Like it or not, I'm rationing the 'wonder bread' and giving him mostly mysis - hope yours takes healthy foods right off the bat. I'm willing to bet within a week he'll come down from the PH, just give him some time to adjust.

Originally posted by BrookR1

Can you place a piece of sponge over the powerhead intake?

Sure you could, but I have no interest in doing so. Why do you ask?

Yeah give him some time, and eventually he will find corals to perch on. I think you got a healty Yellow clown goby because mine did pretty much the same thing as yours for a few days.

• 5 weeks later...

ktownhero, my goby is exhibiting the exact same symptoms as yours did - a few spots, then the next day many spots that look more like raised scales. It seems to be recurring, and I'm out of ideas as to what it is. I can't get a good pic with my camera, so I hope you don't mind that I've linked a thread about my goby over on RC to yours so people can see your pics. If anyone there has the answer to what this is I'll let you know!

Here's the RC thread

My guy is still alive and strong, although every once in a while he still appears to have spots... sometimes even white. They come and go. He has never been happier though. He now resides in my rock and coral, and likes to play with my clownfish. I think he'll be fine. I did buy some garlic extreme as a preventative measure, I try to feed with that a couple times a week.

Just keep good water quality, and an eye on him. I'm sure he'll be fine though.

Hmmm... seems you and I both have gobies with this strange mystery condition. Hopefully someone on RC can ID it, but I guess since they're both doing well despite the spots, it's not too much to worry about :)

Wow, a.ot of problems with your clown gobies, i have one two, hes 3 years old and never had those problems, he loves to perch on my zoos too, there are such cute litle buggers.

Scoot, I'd say it's two gobies with just one problem, and not much of one at that ;)

No one seems to know what this funny condition of disappearing/reappearing spots is, but since both ktownhero's goby and mine are otherwise happy little guys I don't think it's something I'm going to worry about any more. Maybe someday I'll stumble across the answer during my nightly online hobby research.

:)

Archived