Cultivated Reef

Thanks to Nanocustoms, and need advice!!!

Fliger

A big thanks to Chris at NC, he built me a custom tank, with four PC's instead of the T5. It is awesome, and I love the moonlight! I got two 50/50 and two actinics, it's exactly what I'm looking for. I just picked up an osmolator for top-off, and I'll probably get some time of controller to run the lighting and fans.

Now the question ... What mods are killer, must haves?

I already think I'm getting Bob's overflow. I would like more flow, but I'm not sure the best way of doing it. I don't want to drill the back or bottom of the tank.

What is the best way to get lots of good flow in there? Random flow, without the look of powerheads. I have another tank, and it's barebottom but I think I want sand in this one. I have Southdown and Purearagonite, so I'll use one of those. I'm worried about sandstorms a little.

I plan on doing 2G water changes weekly. I will run carbon and ROWAphos in the chambers, I think I might sandwich them between the black foam blocks to force water through the media.

I do not need a fuge, as this tank will not have any fish, just corals.

Any advice on flow would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

David

Originally posted by FishFreak

Replace the stock pump with any maxi jet. Preferably a 900 or 1200 for max. flow.

LOL. You're Fishfreak20 from RM. We talked about Micros. I'm finally picking some up. I actually will put some Micros, frags of my Lords and some other frags from some nicer Yumas in this tank. This is an "insurance" tank for my expensive stuff. I might even keep tiny frags of nicer SPS in there.

Thanks for the tip on the Maxi. I already have a stock 12G NC and I use a 606, which isn't nearly enough.

SeanCallan

Yeah I would recommend upgrading the pump for sure.

I don't know about the SPS part, I'm a huge SPS guy but I know better then to put them under PCs in my nano. I think you'd find they either brown out or die. You need more intense lighting.

Must Haves:

Surface Skimmer Mod

Fuge Light

Hi Sean, thanks. I'll upgrade the pump, that Hydro flow mod seems pretty nice as well. You run a fuge in yours? I won't have any fish in there so bioload should be kept to a minimum. I'm also thinking of going barebottom to simplify things. I won't have much sand showing anyway. I'd planned on water changes rather than a fuge.

I doubt I'll do SPS even though I do think they'd be fine. Four lights is pretty bright. But I want space for LPS, zoas and yumas.

SeanCallan

I don't run a fuge on mine yet. I'd rather not to be honest with you. I really want to find a way to attach a skimmer and remove it all together.

Water changes should do you just fine, I'm a big fan of the ZEOvit system and I'm really thinking about incorporating it into my tank and doing frequent water changes inplace of the skimmer. It really does do a lot for tanks.

I was thinking about what Tigah did and I started wonder, what if you drilled 2 bulkheads and did a closed loop of sorts. Something you could hide down low behind your rocks that would suck water in there and just spit it back out..

As for SPS, I'd say you could get away with Montis and maybe a poccilla, but I wouldn't try Acros until I was certain the others were thriving.

Thanks Tigah. Nice stuff on platinumreefs, BTW. My red and pink Yumas have decided to have some babies so I finally have some trade bait, sick of paying for corals. ;-) Although I could use some Micros ...;)

Any other mods you'd really recommend while my tank is dry?

BTW I moved here from West LA. I lived behind Q's on Wilshire off of Westgate and worked in Westwood. I miss it.

Sean - I was thinking of doing ZEO in the little tank, it's just too costly for my 340. I think I'll skip it though - seems like the rocks and everything else would just be too much daily work for me. I'll probably just stick with carbon, ROWA and water changes.

Originally posted by Fliger

I plan on doing 2G water changes weekly.  I will run carbon and ROWAphos in the chambers, I think I might sandwich them between the black foam blocks to force water through the media.

David

I would stay away from the foam blocks. They store to much waste and promote nitrates.

Archived