SaltCritters.com

Is this aiptasia?

Fish Freak

Fish Freak

Seems that right after I introduced the corals to my tank (20 gallons High), these things grew next to the colt and button polyp. The number of them is increasing, and they are growing larger as time progresses. Are these aiptasia? Or something else? They all seem to be different colors. Nonetheless, they are pretty neat looking, but if they are a danger to the corals, I will destroy them.

anthon.jpg

Looks like one or more aiptasia and a few zoos.

Fish Freak

As I thought. Whats the easiest way to go about killing these things? Does squishing them work? Are they any harm to humans (i.e. can they sting me?)

If you squish them, they'll just heal AND the bits can become new anemones. (So it's a great way to spread them.) You can try injecting them with a hot kalkwasser solution.

if its on a rock that is easy to remove, a lot of the time i just use a razor blade and scrap them and a thin layer of the rock around where they where off with the razor.

do it in a seperate container though and then disgard the water. at the fish store, i just flick them onto the floor.

Fish Freak

ok, was just blowing water on them (just to see what they would do), and all of them retracted to the point where they couldnt be seen anymore into the rock. however one of them when they dissapeared I can see a white tube it went in. Do aiptasias have "tubes"? or is this particular one something else?

Fish Freak

OK Just dawned on me, that one is a feather duster. Must be a wee baby as its tube is significantly smaller than the other ones I have, but when it came back out I can definitly see the familiarity between it and my other 'dusters. However, the other things definitly ARE aiptasias and have yet to come back out. Luckily they are all on a single rock, so removal should be easy(er). Hope I don't kill the other polyps on the rock in the process tho...

Use joe's juice if you don't want to risk killing the other polyps. Otherwise, use boiling water or the hot kalk.

its also fun to stab them with the syringe from the joes juice pack and fill them up with joes juice until they pop! then they pretty much melt before your eyes.

I'm killing my aptasias by injecting kalk mixed with RO water at them. They start to shrivel up and ooze out white stringy stuff. Then they disappear. It's quite cool to watch actually.

Archived