Cultivated Reef

some bivalve , mollusk , snail thing , ID needed.

procell

What is this?

It came on the same rock as the zoos came on , and only noticed it tonight when i turned on my lights. Once the lights were on , it "quickly" went into hiding.....

Thanks,

procell

Bivalve1.jpgBivalve2.jpgBivalve3.jpg

Yup... The pics work now, whoo hoo! I'd agree, looks like a bivalve. Harmless....and cute.

So it's harmless? Can't find anything on it in my invertabrate

book..

seems to be nocturnal only , and doesn't leave the zoo rock , so just making sure.

Thanks

Heh... Yup, harmless. It probably won't move--it's attached with either glue if it's a clam or little strings if it's a mussel--but it can do so if it wants. I've never seen them larger than that one--and I've seen several like that in my own tank--and there's no way they can harm anything. Like lgreen said, they're even slightly beneficial in that they're filter-feeders. (Though it's so tiny, it won't exactly make a dent...but still.)

fishybusiness

I have a very big one in my tank. When I mean big it's big. There are smaller baby ones that didn't survive in low flow areas. I didn't know what it was for a while. It is completely encrusted with coraline algae and feather dusters. I finally noticed it when it started to open.

Cool. How big is big? Ten inches, or 10mm?

Well darn....I had one of those a couple months ago, on a frag....I had no idea what it was! I even took it to a local reef club meeting, but no one who looked at it knew what it was....and it didn't survive the trip. I hate killing stuff...

fishybusiness

No its not that big. I say about 3 inches long. I think it's a mussel or something related. All the smaller ones didn't make it. My watchmen likes to collect any small ones empty ones he can find.

Archived