ReefCleaners.org

What Kind of Snail?... Good, Bad?

Web Guy

Ok, here ya go! When he is moving he is standing up with the shell going up and down.

snail_1.jpg

snail_2.jpg

I also just found my Yasa Hashe Goby in the Surface Skimmer more or less dead stuck to the intake. I hope he comes back!! That SUCKS!!!! I bet he jumped in there last night and I did not notice him till now.

Yeah, it was a Heliacus snail--eats ONLY ZOOS! (Bad bad bad!)

Check your zoos for more of them, though you generally find just one (rarely even two) on new zoo rocks.

thanks for posting this

i found a few of these snails- but in super teeny form

now i need to go back and get them out

and now i understand why my zoos were closing up

Make sure they're these and not just the little harmless nocturnal guys. The latter are white with light brown mottled stripes. The key is the conical door (operculum) on the Heliacus. The safe ones are just white to tan with light to dark brown markings, nonone of the grooved, keeled pattern on the shell, only the two colors, and a flat door.

6nv9g5.jpg

Or just take them out just in case... Better safe than sorry.

Yee-haw. I wonder what their eggs look like. ???

I have only seen one. I watch my tank like a hawk and at night watch it with a flash light. I knew he was in there and was just watching him. My zoas have not been closing up so I was not paying attention to it that much. I only noticed he was always in my zoa peices so that is what kept me curious.

He was probably the only one. How long had you had the EE rock? Like I said, there's often one on newly-imported rocks--hence the need to quarantine!--rarely two.

Archived