Innovative Marine Aquariums

Strengthening the Glass of your NanoCube

Enrique

Hey guys, I dont know if this would help or not but after examining my new NanoCube 12DX, I noticed that only the bottom frame or the base of the cube has silicone in and out (sandwiched) which is visible. The top part or the frame has silicone but is pressed between the glass and the frame. What I did was I applied silicone on the inside and outside of the frame just like the bottom part, hence to support the glass and take off the stress by distributing it to the frame making it stronger and resistant to whatever stress. Just make sure you apply the silicone nice and smooth so it would look good on the outside. Actually, the bottom frame and top frame are exactly the same. I'm positive that this would make our NanoCubes stronger. I had a custom made 150gal. tank about 2 years ago and I saw how it was made, had any of you seen how it was made or assembled, you wouldnt want to use it. Hope this helps. Good weekend project.

Doesnt anyone want to object to this.....objective opinions would be great to hear as this is for all of us NanoCubers. We all benefit from this.

so what your saying is the top is merely stuckon with some silicone in an amopunt just to secure top to the glass and give it a finished appearance and not really add any integrity to the overall mounting of glass. If so then that would definately be a plus to help the top frame hold the glass more securely, but if the glass has any scratches its still a time bomb.

Finally, an opinion on my theory (idea is better, theory make it sound too important)...and from someone experienced with glass. Basically speaking, yes, its just there for show. Maybe it does some support but if you look closely, it isnt enough to hold the top part of the glass securely. But given that there are exsisting vertical scratches it will definitely crack ....it'll take time though. But it will eventually crack.

Archived