Cultivated Reef

Naked nano cube

Surfzup2k4

I was wondering if anyone has taken a 24g nano cube and removed the bulkhead as well as the black film on the back of the tank. Is there a way to clean it up so that it looks like a regular tank? I am moving my tank soon, and I want to try something a bit different. I want to maybe have a hang on back overflow, or just drill the tank. I would use a 175 or 250w pendant to light the tank. Thoughts?

I care nothing about retaining the main idea of why I bought a complete all in one system, so that doesn't need to be brought up :P I just want to try something different.

Cholesterol

I believe you can just peel off the film.

The plastic wall could probably be ripped out pretty easily, too. I know some people have done it.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I am going to do this for sure. I am going to strip the bulkhead out, and take the black tape off. This should make it look like a regular glass cube with a bowfront :) I will add on a HOB overflow, and will have a small fuge and sump, probably a 10g tank. I'm happy i finally figured out what I am going to do. It was either this, or a 35 hex that I have. :D If anyone has pics of this, please let me know. Thanks

Interesting idea. With the cracking problem that's been going on, would removing the divider cause the cube to lose it's strength? Not sure how much it contributes to holding everything together...

~randy

I think it's safe to say that a significant modification to the NC such as this should void the warranty of at least the glass regardless of when it was purchased.

~randy

well, looks like this won't be happening... I was painting the back of the striped out cube today, and i looked at it after I was done, and noticed there was a huge split in the front pane of the tank. This seriously ####es me off. I didn't hit the front of the tank, and i was careful in carrying it outside. Oh well, at least alot of my worries about the tank breaking are gone. If I get another cube, it will be a 6 gallon, tank only. Thanks to all in this thread who had comments and input. X)

The crack was inevitable! Sometimes you win sometimes you loose.....and I have to think odds at the tables in Las Vegas are in yur favor more than having a crack free NANO cube mod'd or not.

....were there any doubts this would happen? Sorry that happened to you surf.....I think any major structural (not mods) change won't do much to help the already thin skimpy glass. SH

Archived