Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Finished my canopy on 29g

cmoreash

Well....it's done. I've got a 175w halide ( "10,000k" ), and 2x55w PC (1 10,000k, 1 blue actinic (nope, not a 03 :P ) )

Well, first of all, everything works exxxcellent, and it looks ok.

I'm disapointed in a few things though. The canopy is 16 inches tall, and the bulbs are 12 inches off the water. It really doesn't seem that bright. I was thinking I could shorten the canopy by 3 -4 inches...but that would be hell, as i'd have to modify door, etc.

I've got 2 big AC fans pulling hot air out, the tank does not heat up at all.

second of all. this halide bulb. it does NOT look like a 10K. It looks purple when I run it alone. WTF bulb is this? ??? the tank looks too blueish, so i'm thinking about replacing the PC bulbs with 50/50s from Hellolights.

:| well i guess it works, so yea lol. If anyone's got some bulbs they wanna sell me, let me know, i'm short on bucks but the bulbs #### me off.

can't help on the bulb issue but what 'brand' is it? how long has it been running?

on the height issue, could you place spacer blocks under the bulb sockets to lower them? i agree, 12" is a little high up imo.

blegh, i think it's a 12,000k sunburst now.

I dunno about a spacer, i'd have to do it for everything, and..urgh

I'm thinkin about gettin a new bulb, the $50 Xenon or whatever its called from Hellolights :P this bulb blows

• 3 weeks later...
jmproductions

I'm trying a project and want to see if i can light that bulb. if you do want to see it let me know how much with shipping to 70433, and i'll paypal the money to you

It lights fine I just don't like how blue it is, I'm considering replacing with 6,500k iwasaki, and replacing the PCs with hellolights actinic 03s. I dig the white look, without being as blue :)

Just one question on your response to the lighting not being too bright. Is the ballast for the 2x55's wired seperate from the 175? this may not be the problem, but maybe the PC's aren't lighting fully if their tied inot the wiring on the MH.

I have a 29 gallon set up and I am running a 175 watt 10K aqualine about 12" over the tank. That bulb looks white not blue, so if your really unhappy with the Sunburst, that may be an alternative for you. I got it at marine depot for $65

I ended up not building a hood but instead bought an icecap horizontal pendant which i suspend from the ceiling (it's a basement tank). It has what looks like a spiderlight reflector and the lighting was pretty even throughout the tank compared to the original bell pendant i was using. I did feel that the MH was not much brighter than the 2x55 PC's that I originally had on the tank, but if I combo'ed the 175 and the 2x55 as you did, I would think it would look pretty darn bright.

Maybe the problem is the bulb just being too blue as you mentioned and it just appears dimmer to the naked eye.

Guy

I had two 175W 10K blueline bulbs and 2-30W actinics on a 65 that I had at one time. I was very upset by the light the 175W lights put out. It seemed like the 2-175W bulbs were no brighter that the 2-30W NO actinics. After a few weeks, I trashed the ballast,(hydroponic ballast) and kept the lights. I have since 17switched over to a 250W 14K and I think it looks excellent. 175W bulbs are just not bright enough for me. Here is a current pic of my 10g.

The bulb just sucks. I've got a couple 10K aqualines, but these are gonna go on the 50g tank. They fire up much brighter, this bulb is just not intense at all. I better save up for another bulb now for the 29g, i like bright tanks....now i want a 175w aqualine for this one too, them is nice bulbs, but these 2 are to be saved... ;)

guy:the PC bulbs are ran on 1 ballast each, and the halide is ran on it's own ballast.

I've got 2 big AC fans pulling hot air out, the tank does not heat up at all.

Fans that blow out will tend to get messy do to the salt that will inevitably build up. Many people have the fan blowing in for this reason.

Yea, I'm away that might happen, but I haven't had any problems with that yet, and I believe its a lot more efficient this way, because the back is mostly open.

Originally posted by TooFar2Sea

Fans that blow out will tend to get messy do to the salt that will inevitably build up.  Many people have the fan blowing in for this reason.

not completely true. water evaporates, salt doesnt. consider elementary science porjects, leaving a petri dish of salt water outside. whats left on that petri dish the day after?

seahawkjohnny
Originally posted by cmoreash

It lights fine I just don't like how blue it is, I'm considering replacing with 6,500k iwasaki, and replacing the PCs with hellolights actinic 03s.  I dig the white look, without being as blue :)

if you like the white look, you would like the Ushio 10000k bulb, by itself it is White........

Archived