Cultivated Reef

small stringy yellow worm harassing zoos

Auryn

i cant post a pic of it because its just so dan tiny

you guys know those super thin clear/white worms that live in rock and just gather sand and detrius around their holes and dont do much else?

well I have this rock w/ zoos on it that i got at a frag swap last week

and out of this rock is a yellow version of that worm- its got lots of tenticles or legs or whatever they are

but instead of gathering detrius the thing messes with the zoos

almost wrapping itself around them and forcing them closed

i have a few that havent even opened in the week ive had them cause of this worm

i did a 5min fresh water dip before putting the zoos in the tank but i guess this thing survived

its as thins as a hair and a solid yellow color

anyone know what it could be? or what to do about it?

Several strings all over, or just one? If it's many, then it's a spaghetti worm, and it's weird that it's bothering them. I'm too tired to think of what the other one was called... V-something... Just try jabbing it with a needle or toothpick or something. I mean, kill it so it stops bothering the zoos.

If need be.

its lots of strings

ive tried squishing it with the flat end of a shishkabob stick

and it retreats but comes back out later

this morning there was one wrapped almost entirely around the skirt of one of the zoos

It's a spaghetti worm. Really smash him with something pointy. Heh.. Crush his tube from the outside if need be. The worm really shouldn't be a big deal, though. Instead of crushing him, you could try putting the whole rock in some very saline water, which will make him exit the rock. Just sit there and watch it with tweezers ready to grab the worm when his body emerges enough. The zoos should survive it just fine--they're tough. The worm should exit his hole within 5 minutes, if not 30 seconds or less. Watch the rock the whole time, and try to lean back and not move around so he doesn't want to hide, though it probably won't matter. Just don't make the water so supersaturated with salt that it'll burn the zoos, you know? Just pretty darn salty, enough to upset the worm.

Archived