Coral Vue Hydros

Maxijet 1200 in 12g....to big???

Sinistard

I am going to upgrade my minijet606 to a maxijet 900 or 1200. Has anyone put a 1200 in there 12g and if so does it fit in the back chamber or is it bigger then the 900 and is 290gph from the 1200 to much?

Thanks

Cholesterol

Most people, including me, found that it fit, and the flow is great, but it runs too hot. I had to take mine out and go back to the 606.

Thanks

If I want a bigger pump do you think the 900 would run cooler then the 1200. Also how much of a temp increase did you get with the 1200?

I have a 1200 in 12DX. Temp during the day is 80.1-80.7 and at night 79.3-79.8. Has great flow, I have a "Y" tube on mine to split the flow.

Mark

I just added a 900 to my 12 gallon about 3 weeks ago. I had to make a little shelf for it so it was up a bit higher and reduced some of the head pressure...may not be necessary, but it helped a little. I have mine running to a locline Y. I upgraded from the minijet 606, and would still like more flow that the 900 gives....so if you can control your temperature pretty well, I would give the 1200 a shot. You can always add more locline to reduce the flow on the 1200, but you can't make the 900 pump any more. Just my thoughts.

Chad

Thanks all. I'm going to give the 1200 a try, if it adds to much heat to the tank I'll downgrade to the 900. I'm sure I can find a use for the 1200 down the road if it will not work in my cube.

Thanks again

Well I got the hydor flo and the MJ1200. The hydor flo is very nice but the hydor flo/MJ1200=to much flow for me. My lords got blasted and shriveled up, my shrooms/rics got blown all around. Stuff was getting blasted of the sand bed. Its was a big mess.

I stuck the minijet606 back in for now I may try a MJ900 see if it's a happy medium.

If I left the 1200 in I'm sure the floating particles would clear up eventually. I would like higher flow but don't want to hurt any coral trying it. Will the lords acclimate to higher flow or should I keep them in lower flow areas?

stoney waters

Sinistard

Have you tried removing the yellow adjusting valve from your 606? Just pop it out of the impeller cap. It will increase your flow substantially.

Sinistard,

The Hydor L25 fits perfect in chamber #3 and still allows room for the heater. I have it attached to a hydorFLO and I could not be more happy with the random water movement.

fluidimagery

I have a MaxiJet 900 in mine. Tank runs at a constant 77.6 all day, ambient at 73.4. I'm thinking about upgrading to a 1200 to create a little more flow since I have the returns split at the bulkhead.

Stony waters, yes I did take out the yellow thing out and it did help but I still wanted a bit more flow.

I got a MJ900 and it's working out well, more flow then the 606 and not too much flow like the 1200. With my set up/coral placement the 1200 was just to much flow. If I ever take out some coral or go to a MH/SPS tank the 1200 would be the way to go.

With the hydor flo/MJ900 I get better random flow. I

Thanks everyone for the help and info.

Archived