Cultivated Reef

Sequence...

Chamkeeper

I want to set up a 30gal (36lx12wx12d) as a small reef and use the same size tank as a refuge...

My question involves the order in which to set everything up. Can I set up the refuge during the cycle? Does it need to be a part of the cycle? I am planning on a HOB with sponge and LOTS of PHs. Lighting, 2x96w PCs on the reef, but what does the 'fuge need? I was thinking 1x96w PC, 50/50 or 10K? Or ??

In what order do I add reef critters vs fuge critters, in what order do I add live rock and sand in each? The reef side I have down but how does the refugium play into the cycle picture?

Thanks,

Cham

i'd say cycle them at the same time. that's a considerable sized refuge (2nd 30g, right?) and if you add it on later it'd be basically cycling another tank but then sharing the same water with your display tank. :x

the refuge's lighting depends on what you're planning to use it as. algae scrubbing, true refuge, showcase refuge, clam scrubbing, etc. i'm guessing you're planning at least algae/refugium by the lights. let's us know what you're planning on putting in there and you can get a better answer.

basically, imo i would cycle it all together. (btw i'm doing exactly that right now, 15H w/cpr refugium) get good live rock and you can skip the ls imo just get dry sand.

• 6 months later...
Dennis_said

I'm planning on adding a FULLY stocked Refugium while cycling... started my cycle today, will probably do a water change then add the fuge (w/ all teh fixings in it from a mature tank) tomrorow :)

Hope it all works out for me--Lizbeth kinda advises against it though ;)

Archived