Coral Vue Hydros

10 gallon new setup pictures

gregmoeck

Hello.

Here is a couple photos of my new 10 gallon setup. I have about 10 lbs of live rock from premium aquatics and several pounds of live sand from my old reef which I tore down due to hair algae problems. I threw all the old live rock out and got new. I've been running pieces of poly filter non stop in the Aqua clear 150 which is hanging on the back. I also have ESV carbon in the filter as well. I am also dosing Kent Kalk and Strontium and molydenum with RO water which I get from my LFS by the gallon. They sell it salt or fresh. 1.50 per gallon of salt already mixed or .50 cents for a gallon of regular fresh RO. I have 2 black and white damsel's, nassuras, asteria and hermits.

I have one medium size green star and a rock of green stripe mushrooms who seem to hate the poly filter because they are shrinking up tight. yuk - any suggestions for helping the shrooms open up ???

Why did I have hair alqae problems in the old tank? Well, I took over the old reef from someone who didnt take good care of it so there was an algae problem from day one. I also moved the reef to my house and stirred up the sand. My RO filters were in need of changing sooo bad too. I changed the lights to 65 watt PC and the algae just exploded so I decided to start up a 10 gallon and run 32 wat 50/50 PC bulbs. I have one retro from ACsupply now on the 10 gallon and one retro kit on the way from a reefer on this board. I plan to keep green stars, mushrooms, Zoo's and whatever else comes my way.

reef0004.JPG

reefF0012.JPG

reefF0014.JPG

Thanks for looking, I love the hobby but it's expensive.

Greg

Louisville, KY

not that I know anything, but why did you replace your rock due to hair algae? did you try a letuce nudiranch, some macro algae, and/or additional snails of a different species?

Was the hair algae fiasco discussed on another thread i could check out?

through my very limitted knowledge I have picked up that hair algae outbreaks are frequently caused by high phosfates and ammonia levels.

what kind of filtration do you have? how deep is you sand bed and what kind of sand is it? I know that when sand gets too deep it creates an anaerobic environment which fosters bacteria that will convert nitrite into amonium...

...$hit, I should shut up before I get sued by that sand mail guy on from FAMA for stealling all his lines. it seems like every letter he gets goes like this. "I love you so much and would lick your tank clean if you let me. I have everyone of your books and have read them several times in an hour because they are so frigging small. Yet for some reason I have overlooked some MAJOR part of your simple system that has fuct up my system..."

I just had a thought. If the problem is with anaerobic areas in the sand when you get the die off from the new rock you will have tons of new amonia. I'm not sure, but I think this means your hair algae problem will be worse then it was before. please let me know how things go :)

If this is the case to not loose your marbles;) cause then you would be SOL in both of your hobbiesX)

gregmoeck came out of the closet to say......

Hello.

..... several pounds of live sand from my old reef which I tore down due to hair algae problems. I threw all the old live rock out and got new....... RO water which I get from my LFS by the gallon. They sell it salt or fresh. 1.50 per gallon of salt already mixed or .50 cents for a gallon of regular fresh RO.

Why did I have hair alqae problems in the old tank? Well, I ...... I changed the lights to 65 watt PC and the algae just exploded

]Thanks for looking, I love the hobby but it's expensive.

[/quote

derrrrrrr..... ???

Weee peete aftah me....

I

We

Tart

Id

I

Sofa

King

Reeeeeeee

Art

It.

You need to think long and hard about the hobby as a total involvement. You are in it 100% , or just wasting your effort.

Dumping Live rock cause of a very curable issue is just adding to the degredation of reefs and the increased cost in this hobby.

Tygroupert is right. GOOD call. ;)

Response awaited, but think before posting a snappy comeback.... You seem to have good intentions, so take this not as a Flame, but posted enlightnment, of a concerned member of the nano community....

Thanks Dave. My mom says I'm special.B)

Seriously I wish you asked for help from someone before this happened. If you did ask for help from somone that also happens to sell live rock then I'm really sorry. That person is a bigger ass hole than the pirate that called you retarded.

Dave is kind of like a wrathfull god. you can fight back and he will continue to call you a retard. or you can ask forgivness for your sins (mainly being a retard). Once he sees you on your knees he will help you.

My grandmother met him last night and said he was very kind, bright, intellegent, polite, and many other nice things. I am actually not kidding. She doesn't have nice things to say about everyone. rarly a week goes by with out my grandma clasifing someone as being "ass holian."

I ditched the live rock because I wanted a new start. I took over this reef from someone because they had to get rid of it. The live rock was covered in hair algae.

I lost my 20 gallon about 1.5 years ago when I went on vacation scuba diving in grand cayman for a week. My 20 gallon was packed with SPS corals and a huge leather. It was driping with coraline and was a great tank. It took a lot for me to even start another tank as I still miss my old tank. It's gonna be hard for any tank now to live up to that one but I am trying. That is why I ditched the live rock and am starting fresh.

I understand tossing out live rock contributes to reef damage The argument in the industry is they take more live rock and coral to build roads and buildings then we ever can take together in a life time as hobbist together. I have mixed feelings about this hobby. It makes me sick to think they are chopping away at the reefs in fiji and tonga to get us coral and rock. I really don't know how much they are taking. A football field a week or what? It's kind a like recycling. You are a minority If you recycle and it's really not making a diffirence or is it ? If you only buy aquaculture and no wild caught is it really making a difference? The coral will be hacked at anyway. It's a crazy world out there. I don't know what to think about it. I just feel sorry for the enviroment.

so anyway. I am being real careful with this 10 gallon and plan to only buy aquacultured polyps.

Greg, a Justified and well put response. Nce to see there are like minded people on this board such as my self. Having stated you wanted a fresh start, I understand completely.

By chance waht happened to the old rock? it makes lovely colored concreete I hear in Fiji.... :rolleyes:

Would it be posable to try and revive it in a big tub or bucket over several months? Posably it could be placed in a fuge afterwords and it would be usfull.

Also I understand a lot of reef destruction is due to chemical dumping and run-offs. is there any way to find out what actual products help contribute? I sure hope it's none of the products I rub into my afro. are there any sort of international laws that concern dumping in the ocean (besides sewage)?

WOW!! 1.50 a gallon for saltwater........I really need to step back and stop taking the fact that I live in south florida for granted, we sell saltwater for .50 a gallon, it costs me 1.00 a week to do a waterchange.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Hinecken

WOW!! 1.50 a gallon for saltwater........I really need to step back and stop taking the fact that I live in south florida for granted, we sell saltwater for .50 a gallon, it costs me 1.00 a week to do a waterchange.

yeah u guys r lucky, they take full advatage of us here in NYC.

trying to learn from my mistakes w/ my first 20g!

I started off pretty good but when I left to Fl. on vaca leaving the responsability to my roomie at the time, who btw was there every step of the way with that setup. anyway I came back it was green!!! :(

Everything... water, rocks, glass, covered in green!!! I was devastated!!!

So anyway I still have the rock and the setup has come back to life, lookin good but how should i treat this rock before i place it in a new setup??? not to mention one rock with pink star polyps have a chia pet afro that needs to be pruned quite often *sigh*

strayed from the quote but that brings me water quality Q&A...

having no car and living a bus ride and long walk from the LFS (im learnin :) do u thing tap water filtered in a britta pitcher is good enough for make up water??? or should i really try to save and get something that im sure my landlord ill flip out if he looks under my sink??? lol

Originally posted by XtraKritical

I left to Fl. on vaca leaving the responsability to my roomie at the time, who btw was there every step of the way with that setup. anyway I came back it was green!!! :(

Everything... water, rocks, glass, covered in green!!! I was devastated!!!  

he dont live here no more! :)

right now I'm paying a dollar a gallon for ro and I have to aerate the water and then mix the salt. I know a lot of companies deliver bottled water for drinking. I wonder if they would deliver sea water. that would make my life VERY easy.

Archived