ReefCleaners.org

Crakeur Vs. The Algae Round Two

Crakeur

Well, it looks liek I am winning the battle. The algae is slowly going away. There are a few spots where it is still a bit long and ugly but, rather than risk it growing in new places, I am allowing the few remaining spots to grow while I clear out the other trouble spots. The lettuce nudibranch is now roaming around looking for food, rather than sitting on the same patch of fur for days on end. I even found a clump of algae floating on the surface so it might be dying off.

On a side note, I went to Country Critters this afternoon to pick up some 3/4 inch tube for the office tank ( I was out on the island so I figured I'd stop in) and picked up a nice blasatomussa (red with green center). I was so tempted to buy a goby/pistol pair but my bioload is bad enough.

Will post pictures once the algae is gone.

Might be moving the tank next week. Not looking forward to that. The baby's room needs to be painted and the tank is on a shelf that is part of the pain job. So, now I am scouring the apartment, looking for the best place to set up the tank. Not looking forward to the aquascaping task.

Happy Thanksgiving to all

good luck!

imo don't get too close to the kitchen or the bathroom. aerosols, chemicals, heat, and human traffic. move the TV and put it into the wall unit. ;)

Frizzy Blonde Haired Hippie kid with beard ... his name is TIM.... Ya talk to him? he is a Protoge` of mine. worked with him at Bensons.... I worked the fish room just after he left in Albany for downstate.

I picked up a few Let... Nudies at my trans today. Tygroupert Joined me fer the ride. He got some rock fer his ghetto setup. :P

As of today, I'm winning the battle as well. Re-installed my Bak Pak skimmer yesterday, and I can already see algae dieing. Unbelievable. Must have had too many dissolved solids - fuel fer growth.

On another note, my Astreas have also come back to life since about 6 hours after the addition of the skimmer. They've been pretty much inactive for weeks. They'd eat for 5 minutes and go inactive for 23 hours, 55 minutes. Now they're all over everything - even at night. Can't explain that one, unless there was some kind of chemical thing hackin' 'em off.

I'll never go skimmerless again, period.

Ross, you and I will have a victory party when this is all over.

Dave, they are all frizzy haired hippy kids there. I tried to get them to toss in a free crab that was living on one of the corals in the frag tank. I tried to get them to toss in the teeny green clown goby that was living on the coral. I tried to get them to give me the unbelievable red clusterduster that was attached to a tiny oyster of some sort. No. No. No. No. They did offer to give me the hair algae that was growing like mad off of one of the frags I was looking at. I turned them down.

Great store, high prices and somewhat knowledgable staff. Here's a first. Heard at Country Critters (LFS). Me: "How much is that frag and what kind of light would you suggest for it?"

Country Critter Emplyee "I have no idea what that even is. Let me find someone that does. I'd hate to sell something that isn't right for your tank and might die."

I was stunned.

Also, they have the coolest selection of angler fish in their frag tanks. I was so tempted to buy one and watch it kill my two fish.

Christopher Marks

Mines almost gone in the 90. I started to slack of my water changes and it started right back up again. Just finished ripping, netting, sucking up, and flushing about 10 pounds of hair algae! I'm probably going to find someone's diatom filter I can borrow, stir up the rest of the algae, and watch it all get sucked out.

I kicked the ass of my algae. You want algae to go bye bye? Try some turbo snails. I added 3 of them, and 10 astrea, along with more nass and ceriths, and MAN no more algae :D

Archived