Innovative Marine Aquariums

Yellow Striped Clingfish, Diademichthys lineatus

steelhealr

Hi...there wasn't much on the forum with regards to the Yellow Striped Clingfish. I was looking for a very small fish that looked different to add to my setup and didn't seem to come under the heading of difficult or 'expert' with regards to care.

I bought this little guy about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks ago. It's a stunning little fish. Hovers and undulates and just an interesting shape. He does exactly what his name implies...clings to the sump wall, glass and even under some corals. Not really shy at all. Almost has a seahorse-like looking face, but, belongs to the Goby family.

clingfish1.jpg

clingfish2.jpg

It is very unaggressive towards any of the tank inhabitants.

Reportedly there is a symbiosis that occurs between this fish and a spiny urchin. Now, not sure if this is necessary to survive.

Well, I haven't seen this guy for 24 hours. He may still be alive. However, the difficulties that arose include:

1)the fish is so small and narrow that he is able to fit thru the grate on the back of the NC. He ended up in the sump once.

2)he would get stuck behind the cassette skimmer mod.

3) I never saw him eat. Tried everything including cyclopeeze and mysid shrimp. Even tried to hand feed him and spray small bits of mysid shrimp in front of him.

Anyway, I simply wanted to post this for anyone searching out this fish. It may be tougher to take care of than one thinks. I'll post back if he turns up. SH

These are cool fish, small but tough and simi-aggresive.

I am posting this for the people...you know all this already SH :D

....."The Yellow Stripe Clingfish is also known as the Urchin Clingfish, and originates from the reefs of Solomon Island. Its slender body is reddish brown with a pair of yellow stripes that run the length of the fish. The tail of this fish is round in shape and features a yellow spot within the center.

A 10-gallon or larger aquarium with plenty of live rock and corals provide a suitable environment for the Yellow Stripe Clingfish. These fish also will live in close association with a long spine urchin or branching corals. The fish uses this association for both protection and for food. The Yellow Stripe Clingfish also preys upon parasitic bivalves that attack various species of corals.

As a carnivore, the Yellow Stripe Clingfish will thrive on a diet of meaty foods such as finely chopped fresh or frozen marine fish, squid, mysid shrimp, vitamin-enriched brine shrimp, and frozen carnivore preparations."

PB220093.JPG

Thanks reef-luva..he's been alive for 2 weeks now, so, he must be eating SOMETHING. He's looking OK tonite...on the front glass 'clinging'. Thanks for the post. SH

I love those guys. Did you buy him locally? Liveaquaria has them for $40, I think--a bit pricey for a tiny fish that hides a lot.

Actually, he was $18. He doesn't hide alot but CLINGS alot. LOL. If it wasnt' so expensive, I would have gotten the Swissguard Basslet....$88. A bit steep even for me. SH

i had one...for about 2 weeks. it up and disappeared one day, never saw it again. definity a cool looking fish, very small though, mine was almost smaller than a neon goby. from what i've read they like to hang around branching acropora in the wild. they scavange for food on the corals, but do not eat the corals themselves. a very cool reef safe, nano safe fish for sure.

Thanks Will...I've heard similarly. I was looking to small to keep the bioload down but add some diversity to the tank. I only saw one other poster and he had two. I think he had success with one. I'm trying to keep some mysid shrimp in very small pieces and hope he is finding them. SH

Sounds cool. If I didn't have a problem with fish disappearing (-1 bluefin dwarf lion after 3 days, -1 leopard wrasse after one day!) I'd love to get one.

Heh.. Of course not. I mean I don't want to spend money on another fish when they always seem to mysteriously disappear in my tank shortly after their respective introductions. The only fish I have, as I've had for around a year and a half, is a little one-inch cherub angel, who I know is NOT capable of killing a three-inch lionfish! Not sure WHAT the issue, but it stinks. Not a mantis, not water quality... Who knows. I just scored an awesome deal: $10 for a gorgeous 2.5-3" leopard wrasse, and he was gone after the first night. (I think...Granted, I was gone for most of the next day.) I don't want to keep losing fish, and not just for the money reasons--uh, water quality?! ...and damage to [stealing from] the environment...--so I suppose I just have to settle for what I've got!

I"ve been lucky so far except for a green clown goby that zipped under the rocks after acclimation, never to be seen again. Well...we'll see if we can keep this guy alive. My ocellaris, sixline and firefish are pigs tho'....no problem getting them to eat. SH

• 2 weeks later...

Hi...sorry to say that NOW I'm pretty confident that this little guy didn't make it. I haven't seen him for days now and he usually makes an appearance. I tried my best when it was apparent that he was not going to be an easy feeder. Liveaquaria lists him as 'moderate' in care level. I emailed them to suggest they list it as difficult. They replied that their 'director' didn't believe that was necessary. So...anyone surfing in looking for info on this fish in the future, it is not an easy fish to support. Just my experience. It's too bad since it was a fascinating little animal to watch. Perhaps those with urchins in their tank will fare better. SH

Archived