Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

problem revisited

bdmiller

OK. I'm the guy who had the problem a couple weeks ago with the falling readings when dosing Bionic. I'd just thought I'd update everyone and maybe get a solution. The past like to weeks I have been dosing more than what Bionic recommends. Still my calcium and alk are low. I am noticing more purple spots on my rock tho.

Well the other day I decided to get some Kent Marine Liquid Calcium. I dosed everything today. The Bionic and the Liquid Calcium. Here are my readings....

Calcium....130

alk....0 (yes, 0)

magnesium...0 (yes again, 0)

ph...8.2

The good news is that after dosing everything my ph shot up to 8.2 from 8.0. The bad news is, well I think you can find the bad news. I just got my test kits which are Salifert. I switched salts from IO to Reef Crystals, so I have a hunch it's not a bad batch of salt. Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on or do I just have the tank from Hell. Btw, my tank is about 3 months old now. My occupants are listed below.

well there's something wrong with your alk test kit. you can't have a zero reading and still have an 8.2 pH. maybe at 1 pH but then it'd a tank of sulphuric acid. X) alk is the ability to buffer against acids (the ability to maintain pH).

edit: sorry, it just occured to me that my statement is too exaggerated. pure water could also have neglible alk. it doesn't necessarily have to be low pH to be low alk, but it is suspicious in a 'normal' setting.

there's got to be something wrong with the tests or the method (no offense, sorry). the mg has got to be off too. it 's supposed to (should) exist at roughly a double ??? (ask a chemistry guy for facts, i'm an ijit) ratio to calcium.

the 'dip' tab tests may be a little cheesy and inaccurate but they're very easy and quick for a double-check of the more accurate (i.e. complicated) test kits.

i don't want to offer any advice (changes) yet as there may not be an issue. is there any unhealthy looking inhabitants or situations? the new purple coralline spotting says to me that your calcium and alk should be ok. ??? double-check with another test or a lfs before you do anything drastic imo.

Archived