Top Shelf Aquatics

Scared to buy a Nano Cube!

FRAG-ster-licious

FRAG-ster-licious

Long time reader... First time poster...

I was all set to buy the Nano cube 12g DX about 6 months ago even though it was a smaller tank than I wanted, then I heard about the 24g DX was to be coming out so I waited and waited... Now I come back to the fourms to find out the 24 DX is finally out but Nano-Cubes are cracking at what seems to be a high rate.

Now I'm too worried about buying a Nano-cube since if it breaks I will lose my investment in stock. Though I like the clean look of a Nano-cube, I wish I just started a regular all-glass tank months ago!

Should I take a chance on the Nano-cube?

Are their any companies making something similar to a Nano-cube that I can consider?

Thank you

Anthony

Its a big risk to take. If you DONT plan on modding it and leaving it stock at least till the warranty is over. What do you have to lose? I say go for it. Its going to take a while to cycle the tank anyway. During this duration, observe it closely, look for cracks. I would also keep it in a tuppware container, just to be sure. If it cracks, its under warranty, return it and get a replacement. You aren’t going to lose much with just LR, sand and water in it...

If you want to go a different route... i suggest you take a look at this thread.. Very Impressive tank! Its acrylic too!

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=32301

Here's my advice - talk to your LFS before you buy. Mention the stories about cracks you've seen here. Tell them you're interested, but concerned. Ask them what they'll do if it does crack. Get to know them. Find out their names, tell them your name. Personal relationships go a LOT further than Business. You're going to be buying a lot of stuff from them - LR, LS, Corals, Fish, Food, Drygoods, etc - would you rather buy from a guy who's name you know, or someone who only cares that you spend money at his establishment.

Be cautious as well. Remember - it's a glass tank holding water, regardless if it's a Nano Cube, or an Oceanic, there's a chance it will leak. It might look cool sitting on your desk above your computer, but that might not be the best place for it. Consider where you're setting it up, make sure you won't suffer sever losses if it does leak.

If I had it to do this all over again - I would still buy a Nano Cube. I would have paid more, and bought from what I now know to be a better LFS - not that I think the LFS mishandled my Cube, but I think the other guy would have helped me out more when my Cube cracked. And I would have NEVER put it in my Office. I would have started in the Basement and it would have stayed in the Basement. Just my $0.02.

PS - Check your Homeowners / Renters Isurance policy as well. I found out when I submitted my claim, that my Insurance Company has a clause against water damages caused by Aquariums larger than 100 Gallons. When I asked why, I was told the Insurance Company felt that all Aquariums are prone to leaks, but they felt that tanks over 100 Gallons were more likely to fail. They offer a rider policy for larger Aquariums - I obviously did not take that rider, since I'm just keeping a 24 Gallon Nano Cube. Make sure you're Insurance covers water damages caused by an Aquarium.

The failure rate of the Nano Cube 24 Gallon is still very low. Wally's is one of the local DC Metro area that sells Nano Cube had only had 2 returned with cracks with 169 sold. They replaced them without question and sent the broken Nano Cube back to JBJ for credit. The fact, that your Nano Cube cracks, its only natural to tell everyone about and it maker it seem the number of cracked Nano Cube is every other Nano Cube. But that isn't the case. Few of the Nano Cubes that don't crack don't post the message that their Nano Cube didn't crack! If they did, you'd have to search hard for the ones that did crack....

Steve

Originally posted by reverai

The failure rate of the Nano Cube 24 Gallon is still very low.

sNEIRBO's informal poll on this site is showing about a 20% crack rate. That is very high IMO.

Hi...as a 'crack partner' of s'NEIRBO, this is my take on it:

1) the glass on the 12 should have less stress on it secondary to size and appears to be having a much lower crack incidence

2) agree with all of sNEIRBO's stuff...open the box at the lfs and INSPECT IT THERE and ask if they will take it back if it fails a leak test. Inspect under the rims. Only accept it if they will honor your purchase and get it in writing if there is a problem. Leak test it for a week with pumps/heater running with FW

3) Keep your receipt

4) Consider not modding the tank during the warranty period so that JBJ will cover it

I think the 12 is safe otherwise doing the above. SH

I'm likewise unsure about the nanocube. It seems like the perfect small tank solution, and I was about to order a 6 or a 12 next week when I stumbled upon this site and the forum threads detailing the cracking issue. Living in a 4th floor condo, I'm just not sure I can afford the risk of a tank that appears to be a liability (even if in truth it turns out that it isn't any less safe than any other tank). It's a matter of 'peace of mind.'

I'd like to just go with one of the new acrylic ones being discussed in this forum, but am not sure how long it will take for those to come to market or how soon my desire to get started will force me to make a purchase. :(

FRAG-ster-licious

Thanks for the good replies! Too bad I still can't decide. I guess I'll wait awhile and see how things shake out. My son will have to be happy with his 10 gl FW tank for now, no matter how loud he cries for Nemo! BTW that tank is like 15yrs old and never a leak or crack!

I would be interested in a acrlyic version of the 24DX (or larger :) )

especially with an option for protien skimmer and upgradable lighting!

I'm a family guy, no time for moding (at leaset until the kids start college in like 15 years!)

Anthony

Just have common sense. When you pull it out of the box inspect it. If there's something wrong exchange it. I've drilled and modded the crap of my mine and had zero problems. Be smart and you shouldnt have a problem.

Archived