Pod Your Reef

I want crystal clear water

FireFish21

My water is not clear. It has white stuff floating at the top and inside the tank. I am waiting on the skimmer from Bob, should that help a lot? What else can I do to make my water crystal clear?

How long has your tank been running?? What type of live stock to you have?? Are you feeding?? If so...how much???

It could be a build up of proteins Lv reefer has good advice but you also need to skim your water or make more frequent water changes.

DKreefkeepers

I run carbon all the time and it does not seem to hurt anything... I also just had a frogspawn die though.... but the other 4 are doing just fine...

Syphon out the back compartments and try purigen that seems to keep my cube crystal clear. And before you change the water let the surface skimming vents skim for like 30 minutes by taking out some water. That trick works for me

I have one of the clearest, cleanest cubes anywhere. All I have in the back is 2 sponges and some purigen. right after i do my weekly water change I set up my magnum hot and use my turkey baster to make a "crap storm" I run my magnum for about 2 hours changing the direction of the output every 15 minutes to stir up more crap. after that i put in my doses along with a little dt's phyto for the kids and thats it. Make sure you dont overfeed!!!! while my magnum is running i clean the algae off the sides. I am also running two powerheads, mini jet 606 and the stock behind the grill. My tank is super healthy with wonderful water params and my coral is wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...

On Monday I did my weekly sponge swap, and usually change my PuriGen as well when I'm doing that. I did not have any Purigen left to change it out, but I did have a couple of Carbon packs laying around (from the smashed Cube that JBJ sent me). Since I didn't have PuriGen, and I remembered that Calvin and Drreefkeeper said they run Carbon with their corals, I threw in the carbon instead. I woke up Tuesday to the clearest water I've yet seen in my tank. It's been that way since also. Looks like I'm giving up on Purigen and going back to Carbon!

Originally posted by cannondale

I have one of the clearest, cleanest cubes anywhere.  All I have in the back is 2 sponges and some purigen.  right after i do my weekly water change I set up my magnum hot and use my turkey baster to make a "crap storm" I run my magnum for about 2 hours changing the direction of the output every 15 minutes to stir up more crap.  after that i put in my doses along with a little dt's phyto for the kids and thats it. Make sure you dont overfeed!!!!   while my magnum is running i clean the algae off the sides.  I am also running two powerheads, mini jet 606 and the stock behind the grill. My tank is super healthy with wonderful water params and my coral is wonderful.

Now of course we gotta see it. Post some pics!

Archived