Top Shelf Aquatics

Aquacontroller Jr or Reefkeeper

bobioden

I have always thought the Reefkeper by Digital Aquatics at $249 was a good deal. It comes with the controller, temp probe and an 8 circuit controllable powerstrip, each circuit capable of controlling whatever you have plugged into it. This seemed to be a perfect unit for the Nano systems who has a MH, Actinic, a few powerheads, a heater and a few other things to control. A nice all in one unit. The only problem

is no way to monitor PH, or control your ligthts if you wanted more than one cycle per day.

Neptune Systems came out with the Aquacontroller Jr. Not a bad price but you had to buy the DC4 with was a 4 circuit unit to control your oulets and it was priced at $165, plus $150 for the DC4. They now have a new DC8 which can control 8 outlets plus the controller bundled for $249, Basicaly the same as the Reefkeeper but able to hook up a PH probe and monitor Ph, plus it comes with the Temp probe and can also use X-10 modules.

Has anyone checked these out yet. I am getting ready to order one, but was hoping to get some feedback.

Thanks,

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

bob,

i was looking at those too. i like the aquacontroller jr. but it seems way to complicated with all the extra gadgets and what not you have to buy. (keep in mind you have to pay for the pH probe too.)

I think if i get one, which i might later, i would just get the reefkeeper and get a american marine pH controller.

i dont know anything about he eas of use or quality of either, but the reefkeeper seems a little less overwhelming to me at least.

are you lookin just for a pH probe or pH controller?

Originally posted by lgreen

bob,

i was looking at those too.  i like the aquacontroller jr. but it seems way to complicated with all the extra gadgets and what not you have to buy.  (keep in mind you have to pay for the pH probe too.)

I think if i get one, which i might later, i would just get the reefkeeper and get a american marine pH controller.

i dont know anything about he eas of use or quality of either, but the reefkeeper seems a little less overwhelming to me at least.

are you lookin just for a pH probe or pH controller?

I thought the same thing at first, but the bundle of the AQ Jr and the DC at $249 is hard to beat. I already have the PH Probe so all I would have to do is put it on the AC Jr. I think for my needs the PH monitor, as opposed the the PH controller is all I would need.

They are out to compete with the Reefkeeper, and I think they are doing a good job.

Blaze- All I have ever heard is good things about the AC11. And with the price drop that is also an option. I like that you can hook it up to the computer and control everything from there. That is the ONLY thing lacking fron the AC Jr.

Neptune Systems is closed the month of July, so I still have a few weeks to sort it all out. My choice right now is the AC Jr.

Bob

cool i didn't know you could buy it in a bundle like that. i saw it on marine depot and all the accessories confused the crap out of me.

if you get it, let us know how you like it.

Originally posted by lgreen

if you get it, let us know how you like it.

I sure will. Neptune Systems is down the month of July, so will have to wait til August to order it.

Bob

did you get the DC8 with it? I can't decide if I want the jr or if I'm going to wait until they do the ACII group buy that they have been talking about. The jr. seems to do just about as much as the AC II does, with the exception of ORP, but to be honest with you, I don't really know much about ORP. Also, can you hook the jr up to a computer?

For a nanocube there is nothing better than the reefkeeper. It is easy to set up and there are no extras that need to be purchased. All the ph etc. is just gravy and too much for the current simplified tanks that most of us are running.

I agree that the Reefkeeper is all that is needed. But for the same price you can get a Aquacontroller Jr. I like the fact that I can hook up my PH probe to it and monitor my PH.

The AC Jr. has a bit more features, like the ability to control a set of lights for 2 seperate cycles in a day. They are both great products. I just like the fact that I can do a bit more with the Ac Jr.

JMO

Bob

Digital Aquatics just announced a summer sale on the Reefkeeper. $219 including shipping.

Do I hear $200 from Neptune Systems? :D

Bob

Bob, for what it's worth, I bought a Reefkeeper and it's been great. I highly recommend one if your looking for ease of use.

Rob

Originally posted by reef 'n ale

Bob, for what it's worth, I bought a Reefkeeper and it's been great. I highly recommend one if your looking for ease of use.

Rob

Rob - From what I have read, everyone who owns the Reefkeeper likes them alot. I ordered the the AC Jr a couple days ago with the group buy at Premium Aquatics. To be able to add my Ph probe was the seller for me.

$219 shipped is a great price for the Reefkeeper.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...
ReeferMonkey

Wow, the PA group buy is super sweet! The probes are also significantly cheaper! Cripes, between this and the new MRC HOT calcium reactors the nano world just got a lot more exciting! This is not good for my wallet! ;)

Archived