Innovative Marine Aquariums

Need Mantis Shrimp?

Sheepdog

Hello,

I just set up my first SW tank, a 24g Nanocube. After adding LR, I had some shrimp things swimming around. They turned out to be Mantis shrimp. I want other things in my tank, so the shrimp have to go.

I removed each piece of LR, dipped it in fresh water and set it in a cooler. After each rock was dipped, I removed the shrimp from the FW bucket. I put them back in SW and they seem fine.

I have about twenty shrimp 1/4 to 1/2 inch long. Half are a greenish color, some are clear and some are reddish/brown.

I live on Kent Island in MD and if you want them, you are welcome to them. I don't really have a way to ship them, but you are welcome to pick them up or I might could meet you between Annapolis and Baltimore.

If you had any cool cleaners, it may make a neat trade, but you can have the shrimp anyway. I don't want to kill them.

Later,

Eric

MinibowMatt

are you sure they are mantis and not amphipods? 20 seems like a lot of mantis to get in one batch of LR. Where did you get your LR from? TBS?

MattC,

There may be one or two amphipods in there. The ones I could tell where definately not MS, I put back in my tank. I know the greenish ones are Mantis Shrimp, after referring to pictures, the clear/reddish ones, look the same, but are smaller and harder to see. I would rather be safe than sorry. I am still pretty sure they are Mantis Shrimp though. I can see their Praying Mantis style arms/claws.

I got my LR from House of Tropicals in Glen Burnie. I got one really cool piece with lots of holes and built in caves and some Tonga rock.

Later,

Eric

mushroom head,

Hello. I don't really have a way to ship them. If you want to ship me a container, I can ship them back. My zip code is 21666 if that helps.

I have not ordered anything for my tank and bought my LR local, so I don't have any containers for shipping. Sorry.

Eric

BillyPrefect

So how many turned out to be mantis then? I mean, how many green things are left, and how many er, the other colour? And yes, I realize I put a U in colour.

I have ten green ones that I am sure are Mantis shrimp. The clear/brownnish ones may not be, but I wanted to be sure before I got my tank too far along.

Eric

Archived