ReefCleaners.org

my plans........

majic051

Helllooo...i just started a 10gal. tank i have 12.5 lbs of live rock and a yellowtail damsel fish in it.i have a bio-wheel 170 filter and right now i have incadecent lighting i want to get a clownfish , mandarin goby and a neon goby after the tank cycles...for corals i want to get a red finger gorgonian..a toadstool mushroom coral and a few other mushroom corals i dont know about inverts .....advice would be great

bye

First off, forget the Mandarin, it would starve to death rather rapidly. Other 2 would work but don't add anymore than that. You did say incandescent right? I would change that right off the bat or you won't be keeping any coral (well there is always that colored plastic stuff at petco).

Guest AbSoluTc

First things first. Upgrade your lighting! I gave you a link to a 72 watt retro on www.petsupplyliquidator.com . Get it.

Another thing, ditch the biowheel if its still in there, this causes nitrate build up which is a no no in reefs.

A mandarin goby is OUT OF THE QUESTION for a nano. No ifs, ands or butts! :) There is not enough food for him/her in such a small environment.

In order for your tank to be successful, you need to read up a bit. Browse the forums and take in all the nfo you can. Sit back and do your research and plan what you would like. If you did your homework - you should have a good idea as to what you can and can not have.

After that, you will be on a new level. Good luck and I hope others will offer their comments!

I second all of what has been said. you should get atleast a 32 or 36 watt compact fluorescent bulb in there. you probably can keep shrooms and non photosynthetic corals with incandecent. if you like the mandarin you might want to think about a green clown goby. they have a similar color patern as the mandarin, but are extremly easy to keep. They are also very peacefull. they only grow to be 1.5-2 inches. They are also inexpensive which is nice.

Originally posted by AbSoluTc

First things first.  Upgrade your lighting!  I gave you a link to a 72 watt retro on www.petsupplyliquidator.com .  Get it.  

You really don't need that much. If you are on a budget there are much better choices. However with that lighting and good bulbs you coukld probably keep anything including the most demanding inverts like clams and SPS. that same site has a setup for only 35 dollars that would be okay. this hobby doesn't need to be expensive. You could start a reef with just 100 dollars.

I totally agree, but I don't want people to think that if they want a reef they have to spend a fortune. because it's not the case. when I get my current reef up and going I have a plan for a reef that will cost only 100 dollars.

at that same site where i was gonna get the 72watt pc's they have a 36watt pc for 45$ i just bought a glass top and im gonna order within a week

on my tank the amonia levels are at .50 and nitrite is now .0 the tank is now 1 week old

so what u guys think about the lighting?

Archived