Pod Your Reef

LR / LS shipping time 48 hours. This ok?

sgoodine

Hi Folks. I just ordered Figi Live Rock and Live Sand from an online supplier. It was shipped yesterday and was scheduled to arrive today but it has been delayed and will not arrive until tomorrow. Total shipping time will be approximatly 48-52 hours. I assume that the rock and sand are in bags, inside styro, inside a box. IS THIS TOO LONG OF A TIME PERIOD FOR ROCK/SAND TO BE OUT OF WATER? It is also cold in this area (-10C).

I'm told the rock was fully cured befrore shipping. I'm hoping that this will only cause a bit more "die off" and that the rock and sand will re-cycle in a couple of weeks - Is this correct or an I'm in for trouble?? Any help would be great - Thanks!

Shane

Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Should be ok. You will want to get it cleaned and in water as soon as possible however. You may need to cycle the rock for a week or so as the extra day will bring along some die off.

You seem to be on track with what will happen.

On a small side note: You may be able to recover some of the shipping charges from the delay. I've had 2 shipments not arrive on time (one several hours late and the other a full day late) and I asked for a refund on the charges and the shipping company covered it.

Cameron

Ditto Physh1's comments - if you paid for the shipping, your definitely due a refund. If the online supplier paid for the shipping, IMO you are due a small refund from them, since they'll get a refund for the shipping charges you paid them.

The rock'll be just fine...maybe a bit more die-off, but it'll still be fun watching it come alive.

I'd be a little concerned for the larger critters in the live sand and rock. It will depend a little on the duration of the heat pads used with the bags of live sand. Hopefully they won't leave it out in the snow to freeze.

Whatever the outcome, though, I'd definitely be on the blower to the shipping company to get your money back if its overdue - no matter what. Business is business and you can use the money you recoup to buy something really nice to add to your tank once its stable.

P.S. You're going to have to cure the rock anyway after that sort of a trip so you'll just have to see. IMO Fiji doesn't have anything really good on it these days unless you're lucky. It's nice rock though as far as weight and shape is concerned.

Archived