Innovative Marine Aquariums

Duke's 40 Gal Reef

Duke13

First, sorry if the pictures aren't the sharpest (I need a macro lens + tripod badly).

Specs:

-40 Gal Breeder AGA

-Clone of CPR HOB Refugium (full of Caulerpa)

-Aqua C Remora w/ Maxi-Jet 1200

-2 Maxi-Jet 1200

-Jager 150w heater

-Current USA 36" Orbit 2x 96w + 3 lunar LED

-Tank running for about a year

Livestock:

-50+ lbs LR

-30+ lbs LS

-2 Ocellaris Clowns

-1 Curious Wormfish

-1 Canary Wrasse

-1 Green Watchman Goby

-1 Peppermint Shrimp

-2 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimps

-3 Sauron Shrimps aka Monkey Shrimp

-1 White Sea Urchin

-1 Emerald Crab

-1 Fighting Conch

-Duster Cluster

-25 BumbleBee Snails

-15 Cerith Snails

-25 Nassarius Snails (regular and Obsoleta species)

-4 Turbo Snails

-15 Astrea Snails

-Tons of baby Limpet Snails

-Too many Hermits to count (Zebra, Red Leg, Blue Leg, Scarlet)

Corals:

-Anthelia

-'Drumstick' of over 100+ zoo polyps (green w/ green-white, green w/ green-purple, green w/ green-orange)

-Rock of 50+ zoo polyps (green w/ brown, green w/ green-yellow)

-GSP

-Green Polyps

-Xenia (Red Sea)

-Spaghetti Leather

-Finger Leather

-Alveopora

-4 Hairy Mushrooms

-3 Giant Elephant Mushrooms w/ 4 babies (the largest shroom is about 8 inches in diameter - my clowns host in them)

-1 Green Ricordia

-2 Pink with purple spot shrooms

-Various red pimple shrooms

-Candy Cane (they're not doing to well though)

-1 Black Sun Coral

-9 Green Tongan Mushrooms (I consider them rare)

Here's an old full tank shot:

10660old_FullShot01-med.jpg

I use to have a Lemonpeel Angel and a Bi-Color Blennie. I love the Angel's color but it was doing a number on my coral, nipping them to death. The Bi-Color was just mean to anything that came in after him. He even bit my arm on many occasions. I decided to get rid of the Lemonpeel and the Bi-Color. However, in order to get them, I had to tear my tank apart. Once it was all said and done, I had to totally re-arrange my rock work.

Here's a new full tank shot:

10660new_FullShot02-med.jpg

wow love the giant fuzzy shrooms just got one hope the clown hosts it. Have you had any problems with chemical war fare between the softies? I really like the look of the tank with the low rock and the open space.

Originally posted by phergus_25

wow love the giant fuzzy shrooms just got one hope the clown hosts it.  Have you had any problems with chemical war fare between the softies?  I really like the look of the tank with the low rock and the open space.

Thanks. I've never had chemical warfare, everyone gets along just fine. I make sure there's enough space between the corals. It took my Clowns about 2 months before they started hosting in the shrooms. BTW, these aren't the type of shrooms that will eat fish. I'm not sure about the exact species of the shrooms. By looking at other pics online, they're not Elephants, Fuzzy, or Hairy. I just call them Elephants. I got them from a friend, his mother colony has one shroom that's 13 inches in diameter! He said they were sold as 'lavender' mushrooms when he bought them.

Yea I bought one that looks exactly like yours, its only abotu 5" across but I'm hoping the clarki hosts it sooner or later. what kind of wrass is that?

It's a Canary Wrasse. I think it's also known as a Yellow Coris. Great fish, will get about 5". It's only about 2.5" right now.

I was looking at one for my 20 but I dont think I will get it due to the large size, but one might go in the 75. not agressive or anyhting?

Here's the coral killer:

10660Lemonpeel01.jpg

My poor Candy Cane probably aren't going to make it. They were pretty much nipped to death and the flesh is receding fast. I only have about 3 heads that seem healthy.

I was looking at one for my 20 but I dont think I will get it due to the large size, but one might go in the 75.  not agressive or anyhting?

Very docile fish, in fact many people say to get them in pairs. I guess their behavior is very different when paired up - in a good way of course. Mine eats like a pig, anything and everything.

yea, limon peal right?  All of the angles are hit or miss in the coral killin aspect

Almost all dwarf Angels nip, mine just did it more than other Angels I've seen. I'm glad mine is gone but I do miss the beautiful color.

Archived