inTank Media Baskets

Cauliflower coming apart

BCOrchidGuy

I purchased an Orange Cauliflower the other day, I got a great deal on it. The rock it is on has a good growth of encrusting sponge but it does have some dead sponge. The blue legged hermits seem to be cleaning that up well. The rock has small colonies? of Cauliflower all over it and most have polyps extended however some of the growths are coming off the rock and falling to the bottom of the tank. Should I glue them back on some rock or should I remove them and consider them lost?

Xenia, Mont, and colt coral are all doing well.

can you post a pic or a scientific name? i've heard cauliflower applied to leather and stonys alike. X)

i'm thinking it's a softie from your description but i'm not sure after that.

i wouldn't glue the polyps back on. they're bailing for a reason. survival/spawning, injury, infection, etc. you may want to collect them tho, maybe they'll take hold somewhere else.

You are right, I will have to borrow a digital camera and try to get a picture of it. I did a search and I found 4 different latin names that are for either carnation coral, leather etc...

This coral looks like a SPS but the branches for lack of a better term are semi ridgid not completely solid. It is a bright orange colour and has small polyps that seem to like fast moving water.

Archived