Innovative Marine Aquariums

What powerhead for a 10 Gallon

Lacrosseboss18

Lacrosseboss18

I am going to get all my items piece by piece and i was wondering what type of powerhead i should get. The one thing it has to be quiet. I dont plan too keep very hard to keep corals. Lots of soft corals. Mushrooms, maybe a frogspawn xenaxs and some others. What popwer head would work best.

Thanks for the feedback

Joey

Hagen 201 is cheap and seems to work well, I had a problem with the steel shafts though. Laguna makes a line of indoor fountain pumps for the desk top fountains and larger ones, I have one in my 72 right now and it seems to be holding up well. The reasons I bought it was it has good flow, about 300gph and it has a ceramic shaft. I figured I would try the one and if it works well for me I can buy another. Rio has worked well for me as well but some users say they have had trouble with them.

Figure on getting two that will move your water about 10 times/hour. IE if you have a 10 gallon tank, you want 100 gph of water movement.

Lacrosseboss18

Ok so it seems like the hagen 201 is what you guys say are there any others that you think would work well in the 10 gallon. I see some people have rio 90s but people say they are huge. so what other options are there what does everyone else use. Dave ESPI i read your post many times since it has been up thanks i am just exploring my options. I have done searches on powerheads on the forum and i have been getting many different opinions from people. I guess i will go with what the majority of people use. Thanks again

Joey

Joey,

The Rio 90s aren't that big - I have one running in my 10-gallon, along with a Maxi Jet 400 (106 gph). Both are very quiet IMO. Both are VERY easy to clean - I can clean 'em both in about two minutes flat.

I have a Minijet 404 in mine. Small, very quiet, easy to clean, adjustable flow. The lack 360 movement is a PITA though. Be prepared to move it around alot. MJ 400 is a better choice IMO but man they are huge.

I have had excellent service from the Maxi Jet PH's. I run two Maxi Jet 400's @ 106 gph in my 10. One in the HOB filter/refugium as a circulation pump and one in the tank for current. These are good quality PH's and I have never had any problems with them. I especially like the hanger that comes with them...call me a cynic...I don't trust those darn suction cups :).

Logan J

The suction cups on the MJ400 are bloody good. I use the clips when I can but I've also used the suction cups and they haven't let me down over the past 12 months provided that they are on clean glass.

Lacrosseboss18

Thank you all for your help. Ok well i went to the store to pick up my supplies. I thought the guy knew what he was saying so i went with his choice. I got a mini jet 404. It seems to be moving the water around nicely. Before i went into the store it was either the rio 90 or the hagen 201. Well thanks again.

Tank is cycling now. Still dont like the aquascaping so im going to play around with it. I will post some pics later on when all the bubbles come off the side of the class. Thanks again for all the help

Joey:) :) :)

Archived