Top Shelf Aquatics

My Favia is sick and I think I know why!!!

lichatha

My favia has been bleaching and there has been holes being eaten in some of the polyps. I just took a close look and I saw something that looks like a feeler tentacle but it's not, it was crawing on the polyps and retreating back into a hole. it's very thin and white, maybe an inch long. Can't get a pic cause Itoasted my camera, dropped in tank. Everything else in my tank is doing great, just the favia is affected. I fragged it about two weeks ago and the fragged peice is doing good. anybody have any ideas? I need your help, I love my favia.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i dont know a thing about favias, but my xenia devoloped a hole in it. looked like something had eaten its way into the stalk. it didnt look that way in the lfs. a search on the web. and i realized the problem. dude in the fish store was touching it, trying to get it to close. it probably picked up the infection from being touched. could this be the case with your favia?

Possibly, I moved it quite a bit lately trying to find the right spot. It was just the favia that is having this reaction. To be safe I moved it to the other tank, now I need to setup another tank, that was going to be a lps only tank. It has a bit of green algae frowing in one of the holes and a bit of mucus surrounding it. the fragged part is doing great though. Dunno, it may be a gonner. I did have it pretty close to the devil's hand, before I kne they were toxic.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

could it be your lights?

"Favia species if often found at depth of 25 to 30 feet and is therefore not accustomed to high intensity lighting but, rather, to lots of blue. When first placing such a coral in your tank it is prudent to shield it somewhat from too strong lighting (this is especially the case if you are using metal halide lights or several VHO type bulbs). Once the coral acclimates though, it can gradually be exposed to more lighting.

The amount of pigmentation is usually a give-away in this respect. Favia with lots of pigments are protecting themselves from too much UV lighting. "

I've read that, ummmm, wetweb.com? It was doing great for the first month then this, since I fragged it. possible infection from fragging. it's going to get fragged more to try and save what's left. Like I said the fragged piece is doing great, 10 polyps. The maid body is like 50 polyps, will frag it into 4 and see what happens. I even tried a FW dip for 5 mins today.

Archived