Coral Vue Hydros

Enough equipment to start?

sheenasmom2

Hi. I am new here and I have 2 tanks ready for a reef set up just have to figure out which one to go with. I have a 55 and a 20 H.

I currently have 1 55W PC, (but if I go with the 55 would definately get another), as far as the lighting goes for a reef. I have 2 emperor 400's for the 55 and a mini bio wheel for the 20H as far as filtration goes. I know that I need to get a couple of "jets" for the water movement as well. Each heater that I have for each tank is actually bigger than I need for each tank but I figured gives me more to work with. I do have saltwater experience, used to keep seahorses and a snowflake eel, just no corals.

So, my questions are this:

1) Do I have enough "equipment" to start a reef in either tank?

2) If I do which tank do you all feel would be best to use to start a reef?

3) Any suggestions on what I should get if I do not have enough?

I was seriously considering only doing the 20H but I have seen some of the 55's that are displayed and talked about on this board and they are great as well. I know someone who is trying to sell their 75 but it has a snowflake eel in it and I don't believe that would be a good eel, or any eel for that matter, in a reef tank right? But this person has a really good uv filtration system on thier setup and I could try and find a good home for the eel. Just another thought for me to play with.

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions and help. I must admit, if I were a millionaire, I would have a house full of reef tanks thats for sure. This site is so great. Everyone on it seems to be so helpful and full of information. I am glad to be here. I have been surfing this site for awhile before I decided to finally ask my questions. Now I hope to be able to get started soon. Thanks

For starters, you should make a list of what you want to keep in the tank. This will effect your lighting and equipment. Second, keep in mind that a 55 gallon will require a lot more equipment but will also leave you more room for error. I am not a big fan of reefs in a 55 gallon tank. They are too wide in my opinion and the outcome is a reef that costs a ton to stock.

However, you can build up the center of the tank with live rock and corals and leave the sides open for fish to swim. The downside to this is that you won't have enough live rock for filtration.

One thing you could do is use the 55 as your tank and the 20 as a sump or refugium. Again, I am not a fan of the 55's shape but, seeing as you have both, you might want to give the tank with a refugium a shot.

If you can unload the 55, try picking up a 60 gallon. they are more square, and tall enough to allow for a nice wall effect.

I agree with Crakeur for the most part... My first reef was a 45 gallon, 36x18x18, it was a great little tank, shallow enough to allow me to grow tons of different stuff with out having to go to MH lights.

Yes it is more expensive to stock, but it looked great.

The 55 with the 20 as a sump or refugium (better idea) full of live rock would be great.

What are the dimentions of the 55? I know there are 3 foot and 4 foot versions.

Standard 55g is 48" long x 13" deep x 20" high....

If you go the 55g/20g fuge/sump, you'll also want a protein skimmer. Go with the AquaC Remora Pro if you want a hang-on-tank skimmer, or with the Urchin Pro if you want an in-sump skimmer. The company has EXCELLENT customer service and the skimmers are just about as plug-n-play as you can get in this hobby.

That is all great information. Thanks. Gives me alot to think about. I am going to go out tonight and do some pricing in my lcl area and I found out that a girl I work with has a 55 set up that she is slowly setting up as a reef. I am going to go take a look at it as well and see how it is doing. Then I will go from there. Again, thanks.

Archived