Pod Your Reef

What do I do about ich in the main tank?

fvlewg65

I just bought a couple of Percula clownfish on the weekend and by Monday night they appeared to have ich. I have now quarantined them (yes a newbie mistake, should have quarantined the fish first, live and learn) and am putting them through a hyposalinity treatment. After a day most of the white spots have disappeared, but from what I have been reading, I should continue with the treatment for 4 weeks. My main question is what about the main display tank? There are no other fish in it, only 7 snails, 1 blue legged crab, a scarlet cleaner shrimp and 52 lbs of live rock. It is a 48g display with a 20g sump. Can the ich survive in the main tank? What can I do about it? I don’t want the fish to get it when I put them back into the main tank. Help please!

ICH has a life cycle... those cysts that appear on the fish will later fall off onto the sand bed... grow into swimmers and again en-cyst the fish.

It is possable that you are fine... that there is no contamination of the tank. Even if not, seeing as ich needs a fishy host to complete it's life cycle... if you now prolong quarentine (~1-2 weeks) you can ensure that the parasites will have perished.

Fish stress contributes to these sorts of infestations. I've seen fish spot up with ich when there is a perameters spike due to a death... so make sure everything is going well in the main tank...

I stand by what i posted above, that being said... there is a tonne of info out there about ich. Often it is conflicting, so try out the search button and do some reading.

Also, I like fresh water dips to treat ich.

Thanks, I have done quite a bit of reading on the net about ich, however, I couldn't find much or any info about my main tank with no fish. The water parameters have been very stable for the last 4 weeks. So I guess by not having any fish in the main tank the ich will just die in 2 weeks, dispite all of the live rock and invertebrates habitating in the main. Is this correct?

• 2 weeks later...
Christopher Pearson

i'd quar. for 90day, some recommend more. 90days is good. ich cycle is longer, 1st (of 3) part of cycle is only 2 weeks long. inverts dont get ich. after no host's have been in there for 3 months, parasites will die off. keep in mind, temp swings will cause stress--ich outbreak. with main tank; watch the temp levels @ different times. also, may seem strange, but w/larger tanks like yours, you may want to test w/a volt meter. salt tanks are over sized batteries!! this will also cause stress. my 90 gallon had 2 outbreaks of ich, found it was running over 7 volts, since have grounded the tank. LFS will help w/this. get grounding plug.

in quar., i would also use a small amount of copper, dont use on inverts/corals. ive found straight copper works better than other ich treatments.

Archived