Coral Vue Hydros

My work nano

Hinecken

Here's the nano that I have set up at work. It is a via aqua 11 gallon with 2x18 pc's and an undergravel filter. (you heard correct, an undergravel filter!!!)

it's been running around 3.5 months now, of the most stable reefs I've set up actually....then again, I work at my lfs and have everything I need at my disposal....I'm cheating.

Tanks looks good:)

I have to ask about the undergravel filter though. Why? I'm all about doing things differently but I figured I'd get your input on this one.

To me there a ton of reasons to avoid it one of which is it clogging. Do you have this setup up as a typical UG setup with a powerhead or what?

Cameron

The reason I set it up with an undergravel is because....A. They work, people have been using them for decades, and B. I had no choice, that's what the tank comes with and the owner of the store wanted to display it just as it comes. Yes, there is a powerhead attached to the filter.

Did you know if the UG is reverse flow.....that would solve Physh's clogging question. I started my tank (many moons ago) as a rev. flow UG and it worked great with only one problem...... the N'ate levels climbed up to 50 or so. Granted that was a FOWLR and had more bioload and feeding. You don't have a N'ate problem?

One problem with RUGF is it creates less surface agitation and instead of bringing all the crap to surface of the substratre (where the clean up crew can get it) it goes under the substrate where it just decomposes.

I have used Neither method in SW. Has anyone here everytried an air driven RUGF/skimmer setup? I saw it being discussed in DIY page and thought the compact design might work well in a nano tank. I can look for the link if no one knows WTF I am talking about.

The water in the tank gets tested no less than 3 times per week. There has not been a detectable level of nitrate in the tank for over a month now. I personally would not use an undergravel filter in any of my home aquariums, I prefer a plenum and DSB, but I must say, they do work......On a side note, about three weeks ago we were having an alarmingly high death rate in our 33 gallon tanks, since then we have installed undergravel filters in all of them and the rate of death has dropped almost 90%.

"maybe casue all the week ones died."

casue?

Ha.....

I'm sorry, it's unfair to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

spell check buddy, it's the the button on the right hand side of the posting window.

Sorry, the right hand side is ---------> this way.

It's from a cereal comercial. I don't think it's on any more. It's a kid trying to say sceptical. I also would be happy to use the spell check, but every time I use it I get a fatal error.

Thanks appstateguy!

I do have some bad news about the tank though, I added a few more corals at the beginning of the week. Everything looked fantastic. Then on Tuesday I had a day off. Coincidentally, we also got a large coral shipment on that day. Well, my manager decided he needed to put a 12 INCH SEA FAN in my tank...precariously no less. Well, my hermits decided to do some fan climbing all at the same time and it toppled all over everything, rock came crashing, corals were buried...etc. etc. etc........so I spent part of my Wednesday digging up coral and trying to un-stress everything. Hopefully on Monday I'll do some rock re-arranging and coral placing. Damn people need to learn to keep their dirty mits out of my NANO!!!!!!!

Archived