inTank Media Baskets

Refugium Help/Ideas ?

ekudl

I have a 20 Gl Nano tank that is about 5 months old. I just recently set up a 10 Gl Refugium/Sump underneath my 20, it is cycling right now with two raw shrimp cocktails in it. It is not connected to the main tank yet because I'm not sure how I want to do it. I have read that people use an Overflow box from the Main tank to have the water pass to the sump but I feel that that is an extra level of possible leakage. I am just thinking of having simply two hoses leading in and out of the main and refuge tank, similarly to the way an external filter is hooked up, only the external filter would be the 10 Gl tank. Both tanks are undrilled glass.

I was wondering if anyone has this similar type of config ? And if so why don't more people simply do this instead of going the overflow method? Any ideas, suggestions, comments, on the type of pump used, closed loop, etc. would be greatly appreciated

overflows work great. there are no moving parts to break, and unless you crack one of the boxes, it won't leak. I use one on my 20, 120, and 65. None of them have ever had any problems. I also sell them quite often at work and I have never heard a complaint other than the fact that they can be a bit noisy. You can use the hose method if you would like to see your entire tank drain onto your floor when the power goes out, or if it happens to miraculously stop siphoning before it gets to the bottom of your tank, what will restart the siphon when the power comes back on?

Oh I forgot to mention that I have this setup at my work that is entirely on a UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply) so the power should never go out however I see there still is no guarantee that I won't lose my siphon. Can one use an overflow box without drilling your tank? If so how do you get the water into the overflow box I assume a hose? Can a closed loop work here for me instead of relying on a syphon and two separate hoses?

Are there any specs or drawings (DYI) that you could recommend to me? I appereciate all of your help, Thank you.

I got a 20g refugium with an overflow and and intake pump. Well I am moving and I have nowhere to put it now. It needs to be above the main tank water level so the overflow will work. I was thinking of buying one of those long skinny ones you can put on top of you canopy or a hang on. Any ideas or know of any refugium ideas? I live around the UCSD apartment and building shelves on the walls is impossible cause they are so weak!

none of my tanks are pre-drilled, the overflows hang on the tank, there is one box inside, and one out, the two keep the siphon when the air is pulled out of the u-tube.

Archived