Top Shelf Aquatics

SHROOMS jumping ship or rock or something !!!

Bonster

A while ago I bought a rock covered with shrooms. All different colors and sizes. Now they seem to be going their own way. They have started to jump rock and position themselves all over the tank. I think this is pretty cool and if they grow will look awsome but my question is..... Why are they doing this? Is this a problem or is it normal? They seem to be going for lower ground. Could it be that I have them too high in the tank?

Thanks

I had a ricordia rock with 7 polyps on it. I put them in one spot in my tank and when I woke up the next morning all but 2 were in differant spots and now only one is in that spot. Like any living thing its tries be to where it is most comfortable. From what I'm finding out Shrooms seem to be the most avid movers of the coral reefs.

They seem to be going for lower ground. Could it be that I have them too high in the tank?

Yep - shrooms will move until they find the perfect spot, usually due to lighting tastes. My Ricordeas also continually move about, searching for lower light or a shaded area. Two of them have finally settled.

Of course, they'll also move or "reach up" when they have inadequate light.

Christopher Marks

Yes, mushrooms are similar to anemones in that they move around until they find a place they like. They'll also drop off baby shrooms which will move around the tank as well.

> Of course, they'll also move or "reach up" when they have inadequate light.

Borneman said he figured that was a feeding reaction rather than a need-more-light reaction. Think about it: there are tiny hair-like things on the discs that move food towards the mouth. Turn cup-shaped, and the food moves towards the mouth more quickly.

my green and purple ricordias have been reproducing and moving around the tank like crazy lately. some have crawled onto adjacent rocks and 4 of the big ones have just dropped off the rock. i put some of them in my girlfriends tank and i put one in my bigger tank and the original rock is still packed full of them. when they crawl they leave a slime trail behind that eventually forms another mouth and grows into a new mushroom. its really neat.

I've noticed that too. I had a rock given to me from RickJG awhile ago and now I noticed that there are shrooms in various places throughout my tank. The original rock it started from seems to have smaller new mushrooms growing from it.

Well I'm glad to hear it's nothing to worry about. I think it will look cool with mushrooms all over the tank instead of just all stuck on the one rock. Thanks for the replies.

Archived