Cultivated Reef

flame scallop question

ricknbecky

I was at the lfs today and picked up a flame scallop. I thought he is so pretty especially when he swims about. Any was Rick wasn't with me and now that my new little guy is home and in the tank rick thinks that he is going to be too destructive and may couse too many problems, especially the way he stirs things up when he propells himself about.

We have a 20H w/ 30lb lr and 20lb ls.

Our inhabiants :

6 bubble bee snails

5 astrea

6 ceriths

16 nassarius

mushrooms

frogspawn frag

gsp

mancinia (open brain)

various unidentified corals that came on our rocks

and a sebae clown

If any one sees the flame as a potentil problem please let me know.

Becky

As a matter of fact.. I was just reading about flame scallops.. and how they aren't really scallops but of the clam family. From the article I read, they basically say that no one has successfully been able to keep them alive for more then 6 months (which is how long it takes for the mollusc to starve to death).

BTW.. his swimming around is not a good thing either.. means he hasn't been able to find a safe spot.. they like to hide in cracks since they cannot close their shells as tight as other molluscs.

Here's the article... best of luck:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jul...2002/toonen.htm

printerdown01

feeding... you will def have to do some research on this (and I'm not talking about reading the tiny bio on ffexpress ;) ). Feeding is often an issue with these guys... even more so than their ability to move about the tank.

ive had 2 flame scallops in my 100gl for almost 2 yrs now with no problems, they both shot around the tank for a day or two then attached them selves to the live rooks with there foot, in about the same place , each has been doin great an have grown alittle bit over the time ive had them, maybe ive just had some great luck with em??????

ive had a flame scallop in my nano for about a year and it is thriving. it will find a crack and stay there for about a month and then it will propel itself somewhere else and ill position it so that it will propel itself into another crack and it will be happy again. i just feed the tank dt's every few days.

Archived