Pod Your Reef

rose anenome

SLOreefer

what do you guys think? im planning on doing a 7 gal bow with an aquaclear 150. use live rock and a 32w smartlight retro. i can get rose anenomes for fairly cheap(for a rose) and thought id try it out. i have a friend with this set up and has had alot of succes with it. this would be an anenome and clown tank with maybe some mushrooms or something like that so it moving around shouldnt be a problem. have any of you had any expierience with this?

NanoReefer53

i've seen a rose in a 7g bow too. Not much other corals though since it takes up all the room. Can I get hook ups on rose anemones too when ur back ;) ?

yeah nano...youve seen camerons tank right? well yeah we already talked about it. it does well in that tank. so i thought i might give it a try...let the anenome get settled and then add some corals after and only after it finds a spot it likes.

reeffriend

You MIGHT be able to get away with a rose in a seven gallon provided you do this:  Feed ONCE a week: this will keep rapid growth to a minimum as well as keep nitrate levels down in the tank.  

Do NOT add corals:  The only thing I can see coexisting are polyps and MAYBE shrooms.  As soon as the rose touches the shrooms you will notice a big difference, they will get much smaller and look like crap.

I can almost guarantee that the anemone will take over the whole tank.  They move and you've gotta be ready for that if you have anything else in there.  Mine has moved twice in the past two days in my 20 and it's about to split.  If you're gonna spend the 60 or so bucks on those AGA seven gallon bows, why not just get a 20 long for 25 bucks and throw in another 32w PC?  The tank is shallow and that light will be fine for a rose.  Also, the 30 inch length of a 20 long will allow you to keep corals on one side and the anemone on the other as well as allow you to feed 2-3 times per week without sacrificing water quality and anemone health.  Hope this helps.

my reason for not having a 20long is i am in college and have to move alot. so moving a 20 with something like 40-50 lbs of rock is alot harder than moving a 7 with 10 lbs of rock. i get everything at cost so the tank is cheap for me and so is the light so thats not an issue really. it is just that my housing situation is unstaible. i will also take into consideration what you have said about feeding. if it doesnt work out maybe ill change the anenome to my 10 and put everything from my 10 into the 7. so my reef will be a 7 and anenome tank will be a 10....just some thoughts for summer projects...

reef hugger

the goal should be to have it growing not merely exsisting. if the rose were to actually reach full size the 7 would be way to small and the 10 wouldn't be much better. the 20 would definently be an improvement. IMO if you can't afford or have enough space for it at the present time, please wait until you do.

here is an interesting article on bta's. here

btw how much longer do you have in school?

thank you for that article. it was very helpful. i have about 3 years left in school. tis is my second year but am in the process of changing majors so it is oging to add some time on.

well this is the tank i got the idea from. this is a coworker of mine and someone i truly respect in the aquarium industry.

www.californiareefs.com/tank7reef.htm

That is a nice setup, but it looks like the rose is bleaching..(maybe just the pic though).This is what my three look like.3roses.jpg

quiksilver5768

I was just wondering about how hard these rose anemones are to keep? I always here about them but they never have them at my LFS...

Thanks Cam Bar, it is my 46g not my nano(I will be setting up a 20 for one of them when new house is done being built.

quiksilver, They are prob the hardiest of the anemones in the trade. But they do need strong light, direct feedings every 2days or so and very good water quality. If you are going to get one at least get a captive bred one, do ALOT of research on them before buying as if not given proper conditions they will waste away.

Dave

reef hugger

i am curious as to how long that rose has been in his tank. it does look kind of whiteish. that is a nice tank minus the rose.

dave, how large have your roses gotten? the one at my lfs, the oral disc is probably 5" and the tenticles are ~5" long affter the split. it has split once in the past year. btw what are those clowns?

Archived