Top Shelf Aquatics

Raleigh NC Area

schlisp

I am in Raleigh and just starting my 24 gallon setup. I have always been a freshwater enthusaist. I am open to swaps both fresh and salt.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by tang-itis

Durham here...what have you guys got to trade?

You said " trade " everybody disappeared. I'm a newbie ! What happened ? LOL.

mattgreene22

I think people may just be scratching their head figuring out what they might want to part with...if anything. LOL...who knows. My tank is too new to trade...so I'm just picking up pieces. Hey, anyone know where I could find B-Ionic locally?

Apex here...I personally like shopping at aquatic concepts in Durham off Garrett rd. Nice people, willing to try and order anything you might want. They seem to have the best coral selection in the triangle, and the prices arent too bad. I would try there for the B-Ionic. If not, i think there is a new shop that opened this year in downtown raleigh.

oh yeah, if you are just starting to set things up, check with chad at reefscience.com ... he's in apex and might do frag packs to get you started.

schlisp, glad you started this thread. I had no idea there were so many from the Raleigh area on Nanoreef, North Raleigh myself. I'm in the same boat as Mattgreene, fairly new 30g Oceanic. So I have nothing to trade, but good to have some local contacts for frag swaps in the future. As far as where I shop, Fish world on capital, Animal world in WF, Fish pros, and for really oddball stuff I go to Aquatica in Clayton.

I've been hearing a lot about Aquatic Concepts, may try them this weekend.

with this many people in the area, maybe some frag swapping could take place when everyone gets their tanks up. Between fishfreak and kicbak alone there are some nice frags running around.

CoralDynamics, I've visited your website a few times. Great to see a responsible aquaculturing operation right here in good old NC. I'll drop you a line in a month or so when our tank is ready for corals.

Jason

mattgreene22

Hmmm...I think I might call Aquatic Concepts when they open today. I want to pick up some B-Ionic and a Salifert Test kit for CA. Couldn't find either at Fish Pros or Fish World. I've been out to AC once, and it is a cool store with a nice bunch of guys running it...one took some time to really chat about the store with me.

As far as trading frags...there is a local frag swap and meeting coming up. If you're not already a part of it...

MASC/ncfrag:

You should sign up under yahoo groups for ncfrag to join the email listserv.

MASC is holding a meeting in just a few weeks with speakers, frag swap, selling, and raffles. Go to http://masotc.net to check it out. They're also planning a collection trip off the NC coast in August. See below from an email that went out:

"MASC will also be organizing a weekend collecting trip to the coast! You must be a member of MASC (which requires only that you pay your meeting fee - see the webpage http://masotc.net ) to attend. We will organize the meeting location, a boat for transporting tanks/weights for those who wish to dive, and probably some drinks/snacks for the trip. Critters available to be collected: a couple of species of butterfly fish, tube worms, peppermint shrimp, shortspine urchins, tons of different macro algaes, occassional tangs and butterflies, blennies, and more.

Join us for a fun Saturday (the 27th of August) at the beach! (Also a great area to swim/play in the warm water.)

MASC Board of Directors"

Originally posted by mattgreene22

I think people may just be scratching their head figuring out what they might want to part with...if anything.  LOL...who knows.  My tank is too new to trade...so I'm just picking up pieces.  Hey, anyone know where I could find B-Ionic locally?

Okay

You guys should check out RARE also, which is a Raleigh area coral trading group, you can find it on yahoo groups. When it comes to aquatic concepts, you guys make sure you talk to Tin if he's there, the owner, he will hook you up.

Hey, anybody in the Southside VA or northern NC on this discussion board? We are very limited in resources here and I would love to share with local folks in this way. I will post this as an original post and see what happens!

I posted this thread and went out of town for a while. I ve come back to find lots of new salt water enthusiasts. This is my first true salt tank although Ive had freshwater tanks for years.

Iam in North Raleigh and can be reached at schlisp@bellsouth.net

Daniel

Originally posted by forr44

You said " trade " everybody disappeared. I'm a newbie ! What happened ? LOL.

Yea, that was kinda wierd. I guess I forgot this was nano-reef. I've got a couple tanks and didn't think about not being able to frag as much out of small systems.

If anybody wants some I've got some decent sized brown digitata frags and some orange cap frags if anybody's interested.

Andy Somnifac
Originally posted by dcabboa

Hey, anybody in the Southside VA or northern NC on this discussion board?  We are very limited in resources here and I would love to share with local folks in this way.  I will post this as an original post and see what happens!

I would be in Chesapeake, but I can't help with the resources, as I've yet to get anything together. I'm still trying to do my homework.

Archived