Innovative Marine Aquariums

Introducing Marine Aquarist Courses Online 2003 (MACO 2003)

Leonard

macomedium2003.jpg

Introducing Marine Aquarist Courses Online 2003

http://www.reefs.org/maco/

Reefs.org is excited to announce the expansion of our Marine Aquarist Courses Online (MACO)! This is our fourth year offering online courses to marine hobbyists, and this year MACO is better then ever! We have significantly revamped our user interface and course offerings. Reefs.org is thrilled to announce that for 2003 we have the following noted marine hobbyists and authors teaching MACO 2003 online courses:

• * Eric Borneman
    * Brian Ferguson
    * Scott Michael
    * Anthony Calfo
    * Sanjay Joshi
    * Robert Fenner

Unlike years past when we only offered one or two courses per year, Reefs.org will be offering MACO online courses year round! We are extremely excited about what this year’s MACO has to offer to you as a marine hobbyist. Many of the instructors are also regular contributors to our online magazine Advanced Aquarist, so in addition to being able to read their latest research into various facets of the marine hobby, you as a student can also directly interact with them on a one-on-one basis!

Check out our 2003 course offerings:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Winter 2003 Semester:

Eric Borneman: Coral Biology for Reef Enthusiasts: 11 week course

Course Timeline: January 12, 2003 - March 30, 2003

Registration Begins: November 25, 2002

Registration Ends: January 14, 2003

Brian Ferguson: Build Your Own Calcium Reactor: 5 week course[/b]

Course Timeline: February 23, 2003 - March 30, 2003

Registration Begins: November 25, 2002

Registration Ends: February 2, 2003

---------------

Summer 2003 Semester:

Scott Michael: Care and Behavior of Reef Fishes: 11 week course

Sanjay Joshi: Unraveling the Mysteries of Reef Tank Lighting: 5 week course

Anthony Calfo: Coral Propagation: 5 week course

---------------

Fall 2003 Semester:

Robert Fenner: A Beginners Guide to the Quagmire Called Reefkeeping: 11 week course

TBD : Two 5 week courses

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Courses are offered at a nominal fee. These costs are required to pay instructors for their time and to help offset the cost of the online resources used to teach the course. Reefs.org has made every attempt to keep cost down so that MACO courses are affordable to the entire online community. Registration is now open for Winter 2003 semester.

Course Costs:

Borneman: $75 course + book costs

Ferguson: $35 course + materials/equipment cost

For more information, head over to http://www.reefs.org/maco/ . There, you will find all the information about MACO including specifics about the class curriculums, the instructors, required text, required tools, class costs, etc. Registration to the MACO site is free, so feel free to sign up without obligation.

Reefs.org hopes that you take advantage of this valuable resource! We are confident that MACO can be an enriching, affordable experience for everyone. Remember: an educated hobbyist is a successful hobbyist.

Best regards,

- Reefs.org Staff

Reefs.org: Where Reefkeeping Begins on the Internet

I got where I did by uhhhhhhhhhh Reading.

So did all of them.

Nice idea, but FMC Bio Aquatic engineering is the only course recognized at the University of Miami for credits towards a degree.

Are these more like Seminars or cheezy Pay us and get a flashy "Im a Lounge Chair expert" piece of paper courses?

Id be interrested in more info. Link .. Ill check it out.

Dave,

You can find more info at http://www.reefs.org/maco/

Accrediation at college level is difficult to obtain. We had considered doing this, but the process of getting accredited is simply too time intensive and expensive for our small reefkeeping community.

Courses are designed like college level cirriculum. This is not a seminar. You will be instructed, with assigned reading and tests. Although we can't force a paying customer to follow the course load, we highly recommend that any participant conduct themselves as if taking a college course - that is, keep up with the work and attend all classes. This will ensure you will get the most out of the experience.

Our instructors all have decades of experience, most working professionally and/or have college accredited degrees in related fields their teaching. Read about them here. As you can see, these are truly top calibur instructors. Being in the hobby for 15 years myself, they've most certainly earned my respect. I would never be arrogant enough to pretend I am as knowledgable as these instructors in their related fields. I guarentee these classes are enriching and managably challenging.

Originally posted by Leonard

Courses are designed like college level ciriculum....Although we can't force a paying customer to follow the course load,  participants should take with college course seriousness.

LOL.... yeah So I can't sleep through classes? Damn college tuition.... :D

I would never be arrogant enough to pretend I am as knowledgable as these instructors in their related fields. [/b]

Eric and Anthony both have BA degrees and loads of experience and have self admitted in their books they are simply hobbyist relaying information to the masses in the efforts to further the hobby, as do I.

Quoted from Forward; Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman:

This book comming from a Self-taught Aquarist is extraordinary.

And Anthony, he cracked me up in his book on Captive Prop.

I enjoyed his book.... his humor was greatly apreciated as My sense of humor is very similar.

Quoted from: Book of Coral Propigation: Letter from Author:

This very text presented here is the summary of collected information from profesionals in the industry and experts in their respected fields....... The Controvercial...... Every new book or concept that is posted for discussion on the Internet is subject to flame wars by people who have way too much free time and need an active hobby.

HEY ! What about reefing ! LMAO Great line !

Fenner, The man is a legend. I ain't gunnah mess with him.. LOL

It is funny though..... he tells people to search more than I do on a few reefing sites... its Quite refreshing to see another established / respected (or feared) knowlegeable poster tell duffs to "search" ALL the answeres are out there, it isnt all just provided on a silver platter. LMAO......

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.

They have my respect also; as they are piers in the same field as me. While I am 7+ some years younger, and have not had my book finished/ published yet, I have read theirs' and am well versed in their concepts and applaud them.

I'm sure the course will be good for people who wish to get up to speed and learn something in a hobby that is becomming inoundated with dolts who are doing a great injustice because reefing has become " a Trendy fad". A vast amount of (good intentioned but ignorant) people degrade the quality of reefers in general and I fear that the lack of concern by 80 % of those in this hobby will cause its innevetable demise.

IGNORANCE IS BLISS.

Hope you have a LOT of participants !

Please send my regards. B)

Elbows Deep in salt water,

Dave "Espi" Sheedy.

Dave,

I'm not sure how to convince you, but I wholeheartedly believe you'll find most of these courses very eductional. Eric's course will definitely present to you new material and reasonable challenge. There courses are not beginner courses. Eric's class is designed for hobbyist with intermediate to advanced background in science (there will be a beginner course in fall 2003). I can confidently say that Eric has probably done 100x the work you and I have with corals, and if even a fraction of that is gained knowledge, it'll be more then worthwhile. As knowledgable as I believe I am, I would never put myself in the same league as most of these notable authors, Eric included.

I hope your words don't discourage other people here in Nano-reefs from participating in MACO. This forum is generally a younger, more "confident" crowd that should find MACO very enriching.

i thought borneman got his ph. d already ??? i'd like to eventually read his dissertation. hmmm, he might still be working on it, i guess.

i agree, calfo's a riot! there's already too many serious slobs in this 'hobby'. well, i guess it's a business and way of life for some.

i'll sign up after i knock off my degree next year. there's a new aquarium/research facility being planned for NJIT around the same time. :woot: get the accreditation and that'd be perfect! ;)

I hope your words don't discourage other people here in Nano-reefs from participating in MACO. This forum is generally a younger, more "confident" crowd that should find MACO very enriching

Im sure my words wont affect the sway of attendees, if anything, FWIW, it might help. Take my post with a grain of salt.... it taste a whole lot better when swallowing the sarchazim whole. :)

What books are required for the courses?.....

I never said I knew more than Eric or any of the afore mentioned instructors, simply that the course is interesting and Id like more info.

LINK PROVIDED ON SITE:

Ever wondered why corals behave like they do? Interested in the biology of corals? Coral Biology For Reef Enthusiasts is the course for you. Take a look at the course pages by Clicking Here

Clicked......

Sorry, you are not allowed to do that.

huh?

I cant see the course outline?

: If his course requires the purchase of his book as the "TEXT USED" I have learned a lot already from "College". :D

tinyreef,

Eric is still working to get his phD. We were really interested in getting these courses accredited, but if you haven't tried before, you'd be surprised how much work and expense is involved in this process. We would have to hire a full time staff if this happened, and courses would be at least triple their current prices. So we decided it would be a lot more useful to the whole community if we offered for the sake of education rather then limit participation to a few priveleged people. Hopefully you agree ;)

Dave,

The Ecology of the Indonesian Seas : Chapters 1-12 (The Ecology of Indonesia Series , Vol 7, Part 1) by Tomas Tomascik (Editor), Anmarie J. Mah Charles E Tuttle Co; ISBN: 9625930787; (November 1997)

The Ecology of the Indonesian Seas : Chapters 13-23 (The Ecology of Indonesia Series , Vol 8, Part 2) by Tomas Tomascik, Anmarie J. Mah, Anugerah Nontji, Mohammad ka Moosa Periplus Editions; ISBN: 9625931635; (January 1998)

Notice these aren't popular reefkeeping books, but college texts. :) I really wish I could convince you that there's much to learn.

You need to register to the MACO site before you can see every information. Registration is free and takes no more then 15 seconds. There is also no obligation to enroll. Strangely enough, that link works for me even without logging in.

Leonard,

Thanks ! Those are good books. I have read them briefly. It is difficult to find NON-Hobbyist books of a scientific nature these days. Any idea on where to find one in micro-bio specailizing in classification and pictures of worms ?

I will register to check it out. ;)

{IMG]I had a big ol worm pic here, but removed it to use elsewhere. [img}

dave,

try campusi.com, they have a pretty good search engine for books, especially the rare or specific books you're talking about. polychaetes or other gross stuff :x

leonard,

i agree, knowledge shouldn't have to be so expensive. i'm just the type that likes to kill two damsels with one live rock. ;)

have you guys tried any of the online schools to try to fill out their biology (marine) requirements? you're offering some powerful the name recognition (instructors). they may have a simpler process for accreditation than the traditional brick & mortars who have yet to embrace e-education as a viable business like some institutions(i.e. Univ. of Phoenix).

No idea as to what polycheate that is, Dave. Not aware of any comprehensive reference book either. Frankly, it's gonna be really hard to ID as there are literally thousands of valid species. A PCR test might be necessary.

tinyreef,

I'll look into that, although accredition is not that simple. We can't simply be added to someone's cirriculum and be accredited. There is a lot of paper work and logistics to wade through, and even if it's financially feasible (and it doesn't look like it is), it will take a couple of years to implement. I definitely would love to do it if possible, but as of this point, it doesn't look like it. :x

Originally posted by Leonard

No idea as to what polycheate that is, Dave.  Not aware of any comprehensive reference book either.  Frankly, it's gonna be really hard to ID as there are literally thousands of valid species.  A PCR test might be necessary.

:x

No ###### ! hehh.!

I wasnt looking fer an Id, but more a referance. If Anelids and the sorts have been ID'd at least once, (as we know there are thousands) there has to be a comprehensive catalog of sorts right? that was what I was looking fer.... the Pic was just a sight gag in referance to me being a "book worm" and telling everyone to read. X) Perhaps ya missed it. :(

FInal thoughts..... in all humbleness... If the program is as good as the site looks, it should be well worth the $.

Peace OUT !

friggin wise guys! :

:P

polychaete: any of a class (Polychaeta) of chiefly marine annelid worms (as clam worms) usually with paired segmental appendages, separate sexes, and a free-swimming trochophore larva

edit: i misread your comments. i thought both of youse was busting my chops. :)

dave, the campusi.com can show you a number of reference books, mucho dinero tho. :o

;)

:P I wasn't trying to bust anyone's chops. What I read was that Dave was looking for an ID resources for polychetes, and inferred that the photo was the unindentified subject in question. If it was in reference to you being a book worm, I missed it. Perhaps it's a inside joke, but I fail to see how I was suppose to assume the "book worm" reference ;) That's how I saw it at least.

My educated guess is there is no complete taxonomy book on annelida just as there is no complete reference book on most orders/families. As of now, I believe there is about 10,000 recognized species .... simply no way to put taxonomic information in the pages of a few books. A lot of this information, however, can be found in university databases. You'll likely be able to find thorough lists of species (and if you're lucky, subspecies as well), but you'll have to dig through numerous books, taxonomy indexes, and digital databases to ID most things. And one problem with taxomony is it's a loose science, often open to interpretation. This science should someday in the near future be a lot easier to use once DNA analysis can be archived.

Good luck in your search. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Taxonomy can be a real PITA ;)

Archived