Coral Vue Hydros

nano cube pics (sun coral, snowflake)

sunspot

Domino_Tang

hmm , nice . btw. what are the spec's of your nano cube

any sump refugium? ^^ skimmer ect. people would love to see the setup of it ^^

good luck with things looks great so far

i have lr rubble in all 3 back compartments. i have a baseball sized piece of chaeto in compartments 2 and 3 with a 13w diy light over the back. a rio 800 in the bottom of compartment 3 with a bag of purigen on top of it. it has stock 24w of light over the front, and a cassette case over the intake to skim the surface, and a piece of polyfiber that i change weekly on top of the lr rubble in first section. ill try and take pics and post them this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome idea of taking it out to feed it.. You'd think it wouldn't like that.

What are you feeding your Sun Coral?

How often do you feed your Sun Coral?

Mine is located in a small cave in my 24G Nano Cube, I shoot a little Cyclopeeze in there whenever I feed my Perc Clowns. I will on occasion see one of the polyps open from time to time, but I've never seen the whole thing in "bloom". When I feed it and at night, I get the same kind of look to it as you have in your pic for feeding. The edges of the polyps get yellow, but they never fully bloom.

The other night I put some sinking pellet in my tank to feed my Emerald Crab and my Cleaner Shrimp, and one of the pellets landed in one of the Sun Coral polyp cups. It ate the whole pellet! I have also spot fed it Formula One as well. Any info / help would be greatly appreciated! I would really like to see this coral fully in "bloom".

Hey sunspot -

I took my Sun Coral out of the tank last night to feed it. When I put it back in the tank, the one polyp I always see open, opened up again. I went back to look about 30 minutes later, and about half of the polyps were opened. This morning before the lights came on, I snuck up on the tank with a flashlight and saw that all of them were open. Looks like feeding outside of the tank was the way to go. BTW - I spot fed them both Cyclopeeze and Formula One - the only frozen meaty I had in the house last night. Any other suggestions for what to feed the Sun?

atticusfinch

I fed mine cyclopeze .. you can feed them in tank .. heres my recipe

soak mysis in tank water for 10 minutes..

shoot the water onto the suncoral and wait 15 mins.. it should open up .. then spot feed with the mysis ..

cyclopeze is great also

I had thought of bowl feeding before but I was told that it creates unecessary stress on the coral. So I wouldn't take it out. I know it seems easier but the stress can eventually kill them. Just my .02

I found an Eclipse II at a yard sale this weekend got the whole setup for $30. Now all I ned is som lighting. Im moving to Columbia to go to USC in a few weeks and im going to set it up then. I cant wait! My sun coral seems to be doing fine. I dip the water out of the tank then just put fresh saltwater into the tank. It doesnt seem to mind. opens while in tupperware and stays open after i put it back in tank.i wish it would stay open in the daytime.

im going to buy a sun coral soon i was wondering if i "HAVE" to take it out and feed it wouldnt that cause stress idk but what is a good food source for it???

Ive always bowl fed my sun corals. Ive dont this since Ive had them, probably about 8 month. They've done nothing but grow, grow, grow. I dont think sun corals are stressed at all. Mine are trained. They open when they're in the bowl because they know food is coming

Archived